Introduction and request

Hi everyone, my name is Estelle.

I was wondering whether anyone on this forum would be willing to help me out with my Master’s project. I am studying how susceptible people are to fake news and whether watching an informational video will help people recognise misinformation.

I am looking for participants between the ages of 57-75 so I have been having some difficulty finding people to do my experiment at University. It involves following a link, completing some questions and watching a video.

I was wondering whether anyone here would be willing to help me. If this kind of thing isn’t okay to post about in this forum, please feel free to delete this message.

Thank you for your time.

You’ll have a field day here then, this place is awash with fake news.

2 Likes

I’ve created an advert that explains the experiment, if you click through the link at the bottom of the advert you will be able to read an information sheet that explains it in more detail. Thank you to everyone for taking an interest!

Would you like to participate in a ‘Fake News’ experiment?

Are you between the ages of 57-75? Do you have an interest in spotting fake news online?

If you have 20-25 minutes free then this experiment is for you.

This experiment is designed to look at how well adults can spot fake news and whether this can be improved by providing you with some tips on how to do this.

What will you be asked to do?

You will be asked to complete a questionnaire relating to your understanding of the media and your opinions on popular beliefs and theories spread online.

Then, you will be shown a series of ‘real’ (genuine) and ‘fake’ (untrue) news articles; you will be asked to rate the accuracy of these articles and the likelihood of you choosing to share them with other people.

Afterwards, you will be presented with a video that will give you tips to spot fake news and be asked to repeat the rating exercise with some new articles.

How can you access the experiment?

If you are interested in getting involved then please follow this link: Research

It does seem to be quite frequent these days

Yeah, fire away at me and I’ll gladly answer any questions, but hey, be prepared for some down to earth answers Elle.

1 Like

Previous forum rules to our members……

Please do not give your email addresses if asked on these occasions.

Any questions should be posted on this forum for all members to see.

Thank you

2 Likes

I would like to help.:+1:

1 Like