Internet adds on web sites

Just over a period of time using add blockers and not using them . During this time and test trial I found the internet speed on average is slowed down on connected speed by 3/4 mbps. May not seem much if you have a fast internet speed. Mine is around 33mbps download (huge impact) so these unwanted advertisment should not be allowed unless requested.
In about an hour + or so this evening my add blocker has stopped about 350 adds.

2 Likes

That is almost nearly vaguely interesting, RS. :+1:

2 Likes

That is my Pet hate on the Internet adverts, its getting ridiculous sometimes there
are more adverts on the web page than what I am trying to read, good idea using
adblocker I use it. When it comes up and says I have to stop adblocker on the web site
that’s fine, i just don’t use that web site I go and look on other sites.

Did it never occur to you that it’s the adverts that are paying for your internet perusing? :102:

1 Like

Aye remember when everything on the internet was free?
You could learn how to make bombs … anything… without paying.

I do exactly the same. My adblocker stays; the web site goes.

Nobody messes with JBR, :027:

But they aren’t. You pay your subscription for access to the internet. What you peruse is paid for by the owners of that particular website. If they want to offset the cost of doing so by allowing others to advertise on their website’s pages that’s to them.

Precisely. Although if I’ve a real need to see what’s on a particular page then I will TEMPORARILY disable my adblocker.

Oh I thought you were going to talk about things the internet was adding on websites, and I was intrigued because I couldn’t begin to imagine what that was all about! But no, you meant ads, sigh

Why wouldn’t they want to offset the cost? In fact, why would they provide a website for any reason other than to make money? Advertising is often the only thing that makes a website viable, therefore, no adverising, no website. :102:

Different ad blockers have different impacts. I normally use Windows 10, plus Firefox, with no background antivirus other than Windows own security & with ublock ad blocker running & find things run fairly fast on Virgin internet. But I do run other OS’s & they are in general, considerably faster.

So for me, the speed loss of a adblocker is less than the loss of running windows 10. But I still normally run windows, as it’s the easiest option & still reasonably fast.

I use Windows 10 and Edge with AdBlock and AdBlock Plus running. Like you, I use only Windows’ Antivirus which updates about once a week. I also use Malwarebytes and PrivaZer.
I don’t find that any of these slows things down.

1 Like