Interesting facts

3 Likes

Certainly involves a lot less plummeting than flying sheep.

1 Like

We have these in our garden,

Possums that glide,they also bark like a little dog.

1 Like

451623504_1062941978526120_4170673798476345663_n

6 Likes

I think China has re-named some of it’s towns so it can put things like “Made in Germany” on it’s labels. :grinning:

1 Like

It has happened before ,Japan renamed a town Sheffield in the 40s or 50s for a similar reason. Where is Sheffield Steel now/

1 Like

The Net Zero nutters have closed it down
I think they make steel in China now.

1 Like

Frankly I doubt it was Net Zero nutters (could be wrong) I suspect it was too expensive when you have few natural resources and costly labour.

As I understand it your hero Thatcher oversaw the majority of the steel works shutting in the 1980s, surely she was not a net zero nutter? The rest were killed off during the GFC again nothing to do with Net Zero.

Actually Margaret Thatcher re Privatised British Steel in 1988 and put in a massive capital investment to make BSC competitive once again on the world market.
The Indian company,Tata Steel took it over in 2007 It became too expensive to run when the green lobby decided that they could no longer use coal in their processes, so the Indians closed down the plants making thousands unemployed and destroying local communities, and took steel making back to India. Thanks a bunch Net Zero
I hope the planet realises how much poverty and reliance on benefits these closures in the UK have produced. India and China have stepped up their production of steel making still using coal.
So, nothing to do with Margaret Thatcher Bruce. But that only appeared on local news stations, so I don’t expect you would hear about it in Australia.

Wiki says

By the 1970s, the Labour government’s main goal for the declining industry was to keep employment high. Since British Steel was a major employer in depressed regions, it was decided to keep many mills and facilities operating at a loss. In the 1980s, Conservative Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher re-privatised BSC as British Steel. Under private control, the company dramatically cut its workforce and underwent a radical reorganisation and massive capital investment to again become competitive in the world marketplace.[1]

2 Likes

5 Likes

The Arctic is not a continent,like the Antarctic,because it’s just ice floating on top of the sea. I expect a lot of you knew this but it was news to me. :grinning:

5 Likes

Don’t you remember the US nuclear sub that crossed the north pole under the ice in the late 1950s? I can even remember its name USS Nautilus (you can blame Jules Verne for that)

Was only done because it could.

4 Likes

The leather is also sourced from ranches that don’t use barbed wire for the same reason.

It is not true that the only sound you can hear when travelling inside a Roller is from the ticking of the clock. The main sound is from the creaking of leather from the derrieres of the occupants as they move upon the seats with the movement of the car.

4 Likes

3 Likes

They are grafters though.

1 Like

It is funny how one nationality seem to dominate an industry, for example at the moment, Indians seem to dominate at servos, certainly the independent ones. Whereas the Chinese have taken over the food industry from the Greeks and Italians.

I say that not being able to distinguish between Indians from Fiji, Africa or other parts of Asia or Pakistan and likewise I can’t tell the difference between Chinese, Japanese or Korean. My Chinese friends assure me there is a definite difference but I can’t see it. The only take away from that is that they are poor at distinguishing between Europeans and muddle up characters in movies for example.

3 Likes

Overseas investors (Indian based) like to invest in new high-rise blocks in London, but it’s (London based) small family businesses buying sub prime property to rent out to the desperate, that make up property numbers.

1 Like

What, you mean small Russian families d00d?

Na, Indian families. You know what they’re like, work together like mafia. For example, our local pharmacy: Indian pharmacist, shopkeeper wife, three youngish sons all finished uni pharmacist training. The old couple now passed retirement age but will continue with a finger in the pie. They pool their resources 
 possibly opening another branch.

Anyway, not all Indians have the formal training, they do rentals keeping a close eye on things. HMOs can be a fulltime job if you intend squeezing the most out of it.

3 Likes

Adult dragon flies can’t walk.

4 Likes