Interesting facts

3 Likes

5 Likes

The “Gap” was also the cause of many shipwrecks. It is just south of the entrance to Sydney Harbour and in stormy weather it was easily mistaken for the entrance and ships foundered on the rocks

The anchor of the most tragic ship wreck is still there to this day. In 1857 the Dunbar hit the rocks at the Gap trying to enter Sydney Harbour there were few survivors.

2 Likes

Butterflies are a species of moth and bees are a species of wasp.

2 Likes

In London, there’s a woman who goes every day on the underground and sits on the platform just to listen to the announcement recorded by her husband in 1950.

Margaret McCollum after the death of her husband Oswald Laurence, sits on the bench waiting to hear this recording that became one of London’s most famous “Mind the gap”. In 2003, Oswald died leaving a huge void in Margaret’s heart.

So Margaret found a way to feel his presence closest. After more than half a century, this voice was replaced by an electronic recording.

Out of distress Margaret asked for this cassette tape from London transport company so she could continue listening to her husband’s voice at home.

After becoming aware of the moving history, the company decided to restore the announcement at the stop near where Margaret lives, at the Embankment stop of Northern Line, where all passengers can listen today and hear Oswald Laurence’s voice and to think that eternal love really exists.

5 Likes

What a fantastic story.Someone showing some humanity for a change.

2 Likes

Despite having performed the lead role in the Broadway and London stage versions of My Fair Lady, the producers of the film version released in 1964 dumped Julie Andrews in favour of Audrey Hepburn, because, “they wanted a name.”

The problem was that Ms Hepburn couldn’t sing and all but one of the songs performed by her character was dubbed by a lady called Marni Dixon. The only time she did sing was during the harsh chorus of one particular song.

2 Likes

I seem to remember reading that Marni Dixon did the singing in a lot of movies for actresses that couldn’t sing back in the day.

I vaguely recall she voiced Anna in the King and I (Deborah Kerr) and Maria in West Side Story (Natalie Wood) as well as many others yet she was never credited in any film she voiced

1 Like

I didn’t mind that Audrey Hepburn couldn’t sing though.

2 Likes

The most important person depicted on a Totem Pole is at the bottom so their image is the first person you see.

2 Likes

It was only after many failed attempts that, in 1807 , the slave trade in the British Empire was abolished. However, slaves in the colonies (excluding areas ruled by the East India Company) were not freed until 1838 – and only after slave-owners, rather than the slaves themselves, received compensation.

2 Likes

In 1962. The Australian aborigines were at last given the right to vote in their own country .

1 Like

Even better in 1984 voting by Indigenous people was made compulsory.

Wombat poo is square .

How Doctor Who got its name.

In the first ever series of Doctor Who that aired in 1963, called “An Unearthly Child,” two teachers became concerned about the welfare of a student called Susan Foreman, so they followed her, ending up in a scrapyard bearing the legend I.M.Foreman, Scrap Merchant, on the gates.

Inside they eventually come across Susan’s grandfather, a Doctor of “something.” At one point, one of the teachers calls to the grandfather, “Doctor Foreman.”
The grandfather replies, “Doctor who?”

2 Likes

Terry Nation who invented the Daleks which saved Dr Who from being scrapped, also wrote for the comedy great TonyHancock and at one time he lived in the same street in Cardiff as Roald Dahl

2 Likes

Something good in the water Mr Smith…
:+1:

3 Likes

I didn’t know that, I knew Hancock’s writers were Galton and Simpson (forget their first names) and that he went rapidly downhill after he sacked them.

Personally I think Dr Who has become incomprehensible rubbish since that Little Britain fella got his claws in it - and I say that as someone who has a Tardis carpet, biscuit barrel and doona set.

2 Likes

In the UK, when the Ministry of Defence need to expand their empire in order to protect the empire, they find a place called Nowhere, then build a military base in the middle of it.

2 Likes

Wagner the famous composer also invented a musical instrument.

1 Like