Interested in egyptology?

I think I can guarantee, you’ll be fascinated. The book is full of information. Not only about the Great pyramid but also about the history of pyramid building, from the 1st mastabas to the crowning glory of the Great Pyramid.

Wow - will look forward to that. They were such an advanced culture and had such interesting beliefs.

I am now thinking I may have been too hasty when I said I wasn’t interested, bakerman, you are infecting me with your enthusiasm. I may even come to share your passion for ancient Egypt one day, who knows.

Keep up the good work. :023:

Bakerman- it’s a pity you can’t ‘see’ humour in text!
I was pulling your leg :smiley:
I totally agree with you!

I’m glad you’re doing better :hug:

Oh, ok. For an American, British humor often goes right over our heads.:slight_smile:

:102: I’m not British. But I agree, their humour can be slightly dry at times…

I would love to hear from anyone who has read, or who will soon be reading “The Secret of the Great Pyramid”. Perhaps start a new discussion ? :slight_smile:

Now that I have read the book, I wish that I could re-visit the Great Pyramid and spend some more time deep inside it. There are so many details that I just didn’t know about during my visit. Most especially, I’d spend more time examining the “robbers tunnel”.

I have ordered the book from Amazon, Bakerman, will be here on Saturday.

After you have read it, I’d love to discuss it with you.:slight_smile:

I’ll look forward to that!:-D:-D

Bakerman - Amazon have just delivered my book - had a quick look at the many interesting photos/diagrams/maps etc., Now that it is a little cooler I am going to open a bottle of Claret - curl up on the sofa with the cats - and enjoy a good read!:-D:-D

Our humour is self-deprecating, sometimes cruel but by and large we don’t take ourselves too seriously, which could appear strange to non-British. :smiley:

[quote=“Silver Tabby, post: 2129053”]
Bakerman - Amazon have just delivered my book - had a quick look at the many interesting photos/diagrams/maps etc., Now that it is a little cooler I am going to open a bottle of Claret - curl up on the sofa with the cats - and enjoy a good read.

Tabby, I hope you are enjoying the book as much as I did. Looking forward to a discussion. :smiley:

I really am enjoying it, Bakerman - about half way now. Normally I would have finished it by now - but - this infernal heatwave is stultifying my concentration - so - progressing little and often! The author has such a lovely simple way of writing - everything is completely explained and understandable - it is a joy to read. Had not realised there were quite so many pyramids out there - see - I am learning already!!

I’ve just watched a TV program about Egyptian archaeology which I came across purely by chance and it brought back memories from 1962, when I walked up one of those internal passages in the Great pyramid. I wonder if they still let visitors do that? I’ll look out for that book Bakerman.
At least I got to ride a camel! :slight_smile:

Great photo, ciderman, move over Peter O’Toole!

The book is available on Amazon - not very expensive - and is a fascinating read!

Ciderman, yes indeed they still allow people to go deep inside The Great Pyramid. But, you need to buy a special ticket, costs about 100 Egyptian pounds. (about $6.40 USD)
As I said before, I wish that Bob Brier’s book, was published before I toured The Great Pyramid. It would have helped me to understand so much more.

I’ve watched dozens of documentaries on Egypt, all fascinating … :cool:

Incedibly, it seems that the more thet archaeologists look the more that they find … :!:

Recently, I’ve been watching a seried on the Smithsonian Channel called “Tomb Hunters” - it details, among others, these recent discoveries at Saqqara, which is probably best known for the Stepped Pyramid of Djoser:

[CENTER]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2e/Saqqara_pyramid_ver_2.jpg/450px-Saqqara_pyramid_ver_2.jpg[/CENTER]

On 3 October 2020, Khalid el-Anany, Egypt’s tourism and antiquities minister announced the discovery of at least 59 sealed sarcophagi with mummies more than 2,600 years old. Archaeologists also revealed the 20 statues of Ptah-Soker and a carved 35-centimeter tall bronze statue of god Nefertem.

On 19 October 2020, the Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities announced the discovery of more than 2,500 years of colorful, sealed sarcophagi. The archaeological team unearthed gilded, wooden statues and more than 80 coffins.

In November 2020, archaeologists unearthed more than 100 delicately painted wooden coffins and 40 funeral statues. The sealed, wooden coffins, some containing mummies, date as far back as 2,500 years. Other artifacts discovered include funeral masks, canopic jars and amulets. According to Khaled el-Anany, tourism and antiquities minister, the items date back to the Ptolemaic dynasty. One of the coffins was opened and a mummy was scanned with an X-ray, determining it was most likely a man about the age of 40. Another burial site 2100 BC was found a whole family was buried considered to be a rich person’s found by his weak bone structure, death determined to be malaria.

No pharaohs or pyramids in the series but an incredible number of “middle-class” tombs, sarcophagi, coffins and mummies, many in a pristine state of preservation … :!:

Yes, with every dug up tomb, we gather an ever increasing knowledge. I watched another Netflix piece recently and they uncovered a vast storehouse of information about a middle class ancient Egyptian, his wife and their 2 infant children who were buried with him.

Most people do not know that there are well over 100 pyramids in Egypt. However, none as great as those on the Giza Plateau.
2 large pyramids at Dahsur. The Red Pyramid and the Bent Pyramid. Only a few minutes drive from the “step pyramid”