Insulate your heated home to save the planet and then ventilate to clear viruses!

I don’t know what this refers to, but,

we open all our windows 365 to embrace the outside world, breathe some air before going for a run. … Nothing to do with viruses just healthy living.

1 Like

You could get yourself a tent then…it would be cheaper! :joy:

2 Likes

If two of you lived in a tent, would that amout to being " too intense" to cope with

2 Likes

That was funny! :joy:

That nice Mr Rudd paid for my roof to be insulated and I also open my doors and windows to get a good cross breeze on warm days or wait until after sunset to throw all the doors and windows open on hot days.

No trouble with ventilation here, perhaps you need to move to somewhere with a healthy climate? :wink:

1 Like

What’s wrong with doing both insulate and ventilate :roll_eyes:

I can fully understand the need to highly insulate, but to spend my pension on generating the heat necessary for healthy living only to have to blown away by opening windows to create a through-the-house wind, that is an ask too much and it wastes all the heat that should have been conserved by the insulation.

You don’t only insulate against the cold !
Heat as well.
Not to let some fresh air in isn’t good for your health.

Yes, I’m not breathing yesterday’s stale air. Once you’re up, dressed and ready to go, you don’t need heating, that went off automatically two hours earlier: open some doors & windows - for 5 minutes at least - before going out.

I have a ventilation with heat recovery installation in my roof space and they can stuff their open windows theory where the sun don’t shine.

We have an insulated concrete form ICF house with an air exchanger going 24/7. It’s similar. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
We’d be busted for sure. Lol

1 Like

I wonder how it knows?

1 Like

:023: Yes, I agree, that was the wrong tense!
All this started a long time ago now!
:frowning_face:

1 Like

In the UK some years ago our speed bumps or speed humps were known as ‘sleeping policemen’,
now they are short in number perhaps we could rename them as ‘sleeping insulate protestors’!
:zzz: :grinning:

4 Likes

I have my windows open although there is no one coming in my house these days to bring the virus in.
My house is difficult to insulate so I have insulated myself instead. I still haven’t really need the heating on yet and am wearing a cotton blouse /2 wool jumpers/thermal leggings and jeans . When sitting down I use a rug and a hot water bottle in bed.

We northern girls are made of stong stuff, I grew up in a house where the only heating was a fire in the kitchen and the loo was 100 yards up the garden.

4 Likes

As a now southern softie, I like more of an even temperature and with some circulation problems, that even temperature is a definite essential.
Going back to my early years, a tin bath in front of the kitchen/scullery stove was part of every day life, but now I’m an addict of every modern convenience available.

I had to quote these two as it describes me perfectly! I spent most of my teenage years in the north of scotland, and was hardened to the rigours of winter. Now I’m more central with milder temperatures, it doesn’t take much to have me switching on the heating :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Don’t see the problem with insulating your home and then opening the windows to ventilate when in a pandemic.

Desperate times desperate measures

Hi

I have a different view.

I used to work occasionally with things far more dangerous than Covid.

So, here we go.

Insulating your house makes sense, it saves money , in the form of energy bills, whether you are insulating against the cold or heat.

All living spaces need to be ventilated, an air tight living space means you would use up the oxygen and die.

It would be a waste of money to install a full, filtered positive flow system in a house, they are things of laboratories.

The sensible thing to do with Covid is to keep your doors and windows shut and only ventilate for 10 minutes after you return after being out or have had a visitor.

When we had tghe kennels we were told each kennel had to be kept warm and out of a draft yet have a ventalation to provide air flow. This is about as stupid as authorities can get. the other thoing was tghay ha to have a covered exercise area. Erm excuse me we have a 1/3 acre paddock, do we have to cover that and at what height. Authority absolutely bonkers