Insulate Britain Fails

I had always assumed that in the 1920s, although they may have had piece work, they had higher standards which they maintained. Perhaps I was wrong.

I’ve no idea about the quality of work in the 20’s, but speaking from supervisory experience in the 70’s, cavity cleaning was often put aside in favour of speed and a full pay packet. These days they are supposed to use a continually rising cavity tray, but I doubt if many use them.

Oh yes, I can believe it today, and ever since the '60s for that matter.

1 Like

The external insulation we had installed is made up of fire-retardant 60mm thick expanded polystyrene slabs that are attached to the walls by some sort of fixing. 10mm of a render and then a Snowcem-like finish was applied over the top of these slabs. This is the company we used.

Ah yes, the Lancing chap J Thurston I used is/was a subbie to Jefferies & Partners and very quick + efficient his chaps were too👍 Two of them swung straight from another group of houses (housing association) they were working on straight to mine. I think Jefferies HQ is somewhere up north, but then everywhere is north of my gaff lol.

Nah, it’s in South Wales. They have a depot in Cannock not far from us. The project manager, Simon, lives in Chesterfield I think.

That’s very interesting, thanks. I see they do internal wall insulation as well as external.

Chesterfield is reasonably close to civilisation.