Inflation: Who is benefiting from soaring prices?

The BBC can be so infuriating sometimes!! Why haven’t they mentioned supermarkets in this article? :icon_rolleyes:

Supermarket profits, like those of many oil companies, have TRIPLED since the pandemic!! :icon_mad:

1 Like

We need food, heat and transport to move food around the country and the big companies know we can’t manage without them. Governments want the money they get from these businesses, as it boosts the economy, but don’t they realize that if people can’t remain warm & fed the NHS will collapse owing to the extra healthcare required?

1 Like

Wouldn’t surprise me if that’s what they want Diane!

Especially after Johnson’s latest remark:

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said households across Europe have to endure the cost-of-living crisis to counter Russian aggression during a visit to Ukraine.

:roll_eyes:

No mention of supermarkets and oil companies profiteering then!! :icon_rolleyes:

Hi

The jokers in here have said that I have been in so long this time that I will have a heart attack when I get out and.go shopping

3 Likes

Oh of course, its Ukraine Independence Day…yes Boris, you go over there and show support while your own country is razed to the ground. Way to go sunshine. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I often wonder if any politician knows what they are talking about !

Wealthy people may struggle through the higher cost of living, but many people who work in the food industry are not wealthy, they are just ordinary people who may be unable to stay warm & fed. If they become ill, will the big men who own the businesses put an overall on and do their work?
Of course they won’t, but they will never blame themselves when their profits start to reduce… they will just continue ro raise their prices! :rage:

By the time you get out, the war in Ukraine will have ended, the fuel crisis will be over and petrol will have reverted to 99p per litre.

2 Likes

I’d say the only ones who may benefit would be hedge funds possibly. But inflation catches everyone. I’m constantly astonished at how supermarkets are managing to keep prices as low as they are.

The article is very light touch and lacking in-depth journalism. Something written in someone’s half hour lunch break.

One good thing about the high cost of energy now is that it makes
the cost of producing atomic electricity cheaper than coventional power?
We soon wont want any other form of power ??
Allready the price EDF has agreed with UK must be far cheaper than what
we pay now ??
Pity we stopped building them !! :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Yet, l can’t see how supermarkets can be making much profit. If people are like me and are spending less.
Maybe, the oil companies and energy companies are doing better?

The shops l have visited lately have less customers. The best bargains seem to be on the alcohol, which makes you wonder if they are hoping people will drink themselves to death?

My friend who is a multi millionaire has gone into a deep depression because he has lost £600,000 on his investments. He pays £30,000 a year to his financial advisors. He should have listened to me. I have always told him he’d have been better off putting his money into property, as there will always be a ‘need’ for housing.

Could have been worse. He could have invested in your crop of runner beans this year :robot:

1 Like

:laughing: The second lot of runner beans that l have grown in huge pots, are looking great!
In fact, l could sell them, my raspberries, plums, onions and potatoes at my garden gate and make a huge profit!
Fresher than the supermarkets too!

1 Like

If you’re going to sell them to Azz, made sure you mark your prices up even more, just to cheer him up :wink::joy:

1 Like

Nah…Azz can have them for free because… l’m a creeper and want to get into his good books!!!
Actually, l would throw in some fresh eggs too… but not at him! :laughing:

2 Likes

Well, if you do then book a rolls Royce to get them delivered over to Wales and send me the bill.

1 Like

Not if you include the cost of the initial investment. Plus given recent events they will need to make such facilities bomb-proof.

Supermarket chain Woolworths has reported its annual profit rose slightly despite product shortages caused by floods in NSW and Queensland earlier this year, and COVID-19 outbreaks leading to a surge in sick workers taking days off.

The retailer’s net profit from continuing operations rose 0.7 per cent to $1.51 billion — a result which fell “below our aspirations”, according to its chief executive Brad Banducci.

Its sales jumped 9.2 per cent (to $60.85 billion) in the year ended June 30.

You can’t complain too much about that can you?

Hi

There are some common misconceptions about nuclear.

Firstly, the price agreed with EDF,ie the French Government is a 100% uplift on the price on the day the deal was agreed.

Boris is not saying what day that was.

Secondly the cost of decommissioning are paid for by the taxpayer and they are huge

Sounds just like the thinking before WW2.

That’s when some Countries were switching to support Adolf, for those who don’t remember!

Are you, really, suggesting that showing support for Ukraine should no longer be on our priority list?

Shame on you, if that’s what you think!

2 Likes

Shame on me then. :woman_shrugging:

I don’t think having an AWOL PM who is in charge of a failing country, should be skipping over to the Ukraine to celebrate their independence day.