Indoor hobbies

What do you do with your time if you are indoors, apart from wasting it on here 24/7?

The reason I ask is because I have had to submit a new doctor’s note to work today, this time for a whole month and there will likely be another after that.

I am used to being physically active but this hernia has floored me; knocked me for six. I can’t go very far without the thing popping out and having me rendered a hobbling cripple at the moment.

So I’m going to be stuck for something to do.
I could get a jigsaw or do some cooking. I’m fed up with watching daytime TV and all the sitting on my a**e is giving me backache. I can sort out cupboards and tidy things up but I need a hobby to keep me busy at other times.

Any (sensible) ideas would be appreciated, ta :cool:

1 Like

PlayStation mate…

Absolutely bloody not mate! Can’t stand computer games. I need to be semi-active but doing nothing too exhausting.
I know how old people who are incapacitated feel now and I don’t like the look of what’s to come :shock:

Learn to play a musical instrument get tuition off You Tube,

Accoustic Guitar £100 plectrums 50p and your away.

I thought about that, basser but my wife wouldn’t like all the noise. Being so into music I really should play an instrument. Dunno really :confused:

Great idea…

You can pick up a cheap Yamaha organ keyboard and stand on ebay for next to nothing, and plug earphones in so that it doesn’t bother anyone else whilst you are learning. Then, once you are up to impresario standard, your better half might allow you to give it some welly without 'em… :lol:

Get a camera

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ec/4b/2b/ec4b2bf4bb220a424d59f2736b0170c9.gif

I did suggest something similar on another thread or maybe another forum. A dog and a camera actually. Both get me out. But it seems that poor Floydy may not be in a place where he can enjoy the great outdoors to any extent.

Maybe taking up painting would be a possibility?

I understand how you feel Floydy, I can’t stay in the house for long periods, daytime TV drives me potty.

When I have nothing to do in the shed I always go for a ramble then head for the local on the way home, have a few games of darts or dominoes with the other retirees then home for me dinner, you don’t have to drink much, I spread two pints out over a few hours and the time flies by.:wink:

How are you at painting (art)? I see Besoeker has already suggested it, I hear that’s a very satisfying hobby, can’t paint myself but you never know your talent till you try it out, say for example you had to design a new album cover for your favourite bands greatest hits, what would you feature on it?, what colours would you use etc., all you need to start you off is paper and pencil, you might even enjoy doing it.:wink:

PS. I hope things work out for the best with that hernia, I had it when I was younger, it’s the devil of a thing.

Go swimming Floydy, gentle exercise down the pool.

Don’t agree about the dog, Besoeker, sorry.

It is different for you because you are retired - but Floydy isn’t. What would happen to the dog once he is back at work again?
It wouldn’t be fair to take one on as a crutch just to alleviate temporary boredom, and neither is he well enough to exercise it anyway.

You’ve got to really love dogs to want one as you know, and I’m sure Floydy would have got a dog long ago if he felt he couldn’t live without one. :slight_smile:

I did suggest that a dog and a camera would not be the best choice for him. They are outdoor activities and he is looking for indoor hobbies.

I’ve got it floydy…cooking, take up creating gourmet dishes for you and your family…imagine the look of delight on mrs floydys face as you present her your latest creation, who knows, you could even end up on bake off…:lol:

What about writing some short stories Floydy. You seem to be good at writing and funny with it, you could post them on here for us to read.

Apologies if I misunderstood.
I thought you were suggesting a dog and a camera same as you.

No problem. I think LD’s suggestion of writing is a good idea.
Physical exertion is minimal and shouldn’t aggravate the hernia.

I have a very complicated zig saw you can have Floydy .

Or how about writing a book !

Not one of those baked bean ones I hope. That would drive me insane I think. :shock:

If you haven’t done it before, how about trying family history. Trace your ancestry, it really gets a grip and you can do it at most libraries now (well we can here) .

You can start off on some of the search sites at home on computer , but getting out to a library might just make a change of four walls.