In the Red Zone - A surprise find

We are in the path of Storm Eunice, which is due to hit the South-West of England tonight, and the UK Environment Agency has announced a Red Alert, meaning there is a danger to life and property, and possible disruption of power utilities, including power failures.

We have two vulnerable elderly adults in the house, so as advised, we started checking that we have torches, candles, batteries, a battery radio, gas cannisters, matches, tinned and packet foodstuffs, medicines in grab bags etcetera.

Upon opening a box marked candles that used to belong to my Lovely Cousin’s grandfather, we decided we couldn’t possibly use the contents after all.

I don’t know how old the night-lights are, but the two books of matches are from around the sixties.

Everything is now on display with other nic-nacs.

4 Likes

Stay safe in the storm. Looks like you’re all set. :wink:

1 Like

I have a couple of generators ready for such emergencies as well as a radio and plenty of batteries. Having an home emergency plan is something that is encouraged here at all times. not just before an emergency arrives.

1 Like

I’m by the sea in Dorset and I have my mobile phone handy and I have candles etc . Its extremely quiet outside not a whisper of wind and I’m worried. I know its daft but I hate storms I have all kinds of worrying thoughts like roof blowing off or garden fences collapsing or worse . I think its hitting us about 3am , it’s now 10.15pm .

Portland will get it for sure . Worrying. I do wonder if it’s all been exaggerated but we will soon know. Schools are all shut tomorrow

I’m not surprised, it’s Saturday. :wink:

1 Like

Not here it isn’t.

2 Likes

We’ve done as much as we can in preparation. I just thought the artefacts we discovered were interesting.

1 Like

You have more treasures than a museum!

Hope you are all safe in warm.

2 Likes

I’m not surprised you decided you couldn’t burn those quaint old child light candles - what an interesting collection of household memorabilia you found there.

It’s hard to believe nowadays that once upon a time, people left lighted candles in their children’s bedroom, with a saucer of water being the only nod to health and safety!

4 Likes

The only problem with the water was when the wick started to suck the water up making the flame spit for hours on end.

2 Likes