In a spin (something I made)

Every now and then I look at a piece of wood and think, “I wonder what’s inside?”

Last year I made a replica ship’s cannon and a George the Sixth post box. The year before I made a replica tractor seat, all out of wood.

I had a piece of roofing timber left over from a building project, so I looked inside. This is what I found.

A spare roof joist, 2.66m long.

Working out scales and ratios.

Marking out. Have you worked it out?

Cutting out.

Using the waste from the first cuts as templates for the other half. The Green Man on the bench under the window at the far end looks on in awe.

Blankety blank.

Adding a twist with a Draw Knife (followed by flat and curved Spoke-shaves).

Finished shaping.

We like the quirky and unusual, so rather than put a clock or barometer in the middle, we chose a Moon Clock …

to be surrounded by an imitation boss. Marking out positions for eight fixings.

I thought these pipe end caps would make splendid dummy bolts.

I was right.

Hole cut through the middle so I can change the battery, and the whole thing stained with a nice light teak to match the rest of the wood in the house.

TI (Trial Installation) in the garage as a proof of concept.

The only place in the house where it could possibly fit. I think Polly the Mexican Parrot approves.

Like I said, we like quirky and unusual. When I found a few bits of leftover plumbing, I used them to make a brace of brackets by tapping them into the wall.

6 Likes

Every time I have wondered that, Fruitcake, it’s always turned out to be more wood, but then I am not the craftsman that you clearly are. :001:

1 Like

Fruitcake - your skill is breathtaking - what a fantastic project! Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

I envy you your skill and diligence Fruitcake.All that hard work was worth it.

“Tapping them into the wall” :smiley:

2 Likes

Oh wow that is awesome Phil!!

I wish I carried on in carpentry class in school, I really enjoyed it and was good at it - but none of my friends were and I just ended up doing the same boring subjects as them!

It’s a shame you live so far as well, I need a carpentar right now as I am gutting some rooms :lol:

1 Like

whether it’s a ship or a plane or maybe it’s superman - caps off to ya captain!!

1 Like

Wow Fruitcake! You have a brilliant imagination to turn out something like that … well done!

I hope you find many more bits and bobs around as I’m interested to see what you will come up with next! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

What a brilliant artist and craftsman you are Fruitcake it’s amazing ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

A stunning bit of craftsmanship Fruity, I’m in awe of your skills… :+1:

1 Like

That is absolutely stunning Cakecrumbs. :wink:
You are, as others have already said, very talented.
:+1:

1 Like

Fruitcake!!!

Your woodwork skills are just EPIC!!!

Oh my word! That’s so beautiful! It’s unusual as well! I cannot believe how talented you are!

Please share the rest of your project pictures!

:026:

1 Like

I posted my previous projects on the other site, but I am happy to show them again here if anyone is interested.

I’ve just found a pack of photos from when I made my first rocking horse. I’ll scan then and post that on a thread as well.

1 Like

Thanks Fruitcake, I’m not certain if your threads transferred over to this site. Perhaps check first before going into the trouble to scan etc

:smiley:

I take my hat off for your wood working skills. It is not only having the right tools but how to use them. All you need now it to build an aircraft to fit it on. most of the kiln dried wood warps, very hard to find a straight pice now

Oh my gosh what a stunning piece of work, I am so in awe! I would never find that in any piece of wood I happened on - it would be totally wasted on me.

What a fantastic piece of craftsmanship. Love the use of the plumbing odds as well. Look forward to seeing more.

Oh, I remember that thread and especially the rocking horse. If I remember you also made lots of different things (including some for in the garden too?) - do post them again!

I do wish we had smelly vision on here, I love the smell of timber being worked on.- can you do that too? :wink:

The previous rocking horse threads were about repairing our youngest son’s horse that got damaged whilst stored in the attic, and another horse I restored as a charity project.
This thread is the prequel to those threads as it is the first horse I made.

You might like the smell of wood being worked, (especially liked the smell of beech when I carved the legs), but the smell of rabbit skin glue is not something you would want to repeat.

You are the second person who has asked me to repost some of my other projects on this forum, so I shall endeavour to do that in the near future.