In a sorry state

Look at the state of this - my climbing rose. :cry:

I’ve never kept roses before. What is it & what can I do please?

1 Like

Don’t know I’m afraid Carol but I do know @logan1 knows a fair bit about roses so she may be able to shed some light :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Its winter, they should have lost their leaves but its been so mild, little as.Bit of help here, maybe,

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/roses/climbing/pruning-guide

Looks as though it’s the first signs of fungal blackspot … check here:-
How to Deal with Rose Black Spot - BBC Gardeners’ World Magazine (gardenersworld.com)

It could be that it’s going into dormancy, I wouldn’t worry about black spot, they recover well without treatment. I get it on some of ours and the new leaves aren’t affected. Some of the stems could do with thinning out in spring. It could do with a bigger pot and feed it in march or April.

I agree LD. It’s a touch of Black Spot.

Pick off every yellow leaf and dispose of it Carol, plus any you find that have dropped on the compost.
Don’t put the diseased leaves on your compost heap else the fungus will spread through the compost and re-infect.
Have a read through LD’s Gardeners World link.

I have to say I don’t worry about it. You try your best but it just comes back. The roses still bloom just as beautifully.

1 Like

I have one little rose and it has the black spot ( It always make me think of blind Pew) have to try some of these solutions

Thanks for your good advice everybody. :blush:

1 Like

Your welcome Carol
:slightly_smiling_face:

I love roses Carol but I’m useless at growing them. I have ones that look like the one in your photo so this was an interesting thread for me… we try our best don’t we :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve made a thread about a rose farm called Fraser valley rose farm, why don’t you check it out? A lot of information about growing roses.

2 Likes