Imagine a new born chick's and mum's misery in a downpour

I was involved in some general musing when the above thought came by me.
When there is a downpour, those nests are full of lil chickies, Mum/Dad sitting atop them.
Oh, the life of a new born

1 Like

The time of year does that. New trees?

1 Like

Not just baby birds in Spring, think of the poor birds this time of year having to cope with storms with gale force winds, torrential rain & freezing weather. I would not like to be a bird. Supposing the tree you decide to roost in got blown down too, no thanks.

1 Like

Thatā€™s why Iā€™ve seen so many birdsā€™ nest under eaves of houses. Theyā€™re sheltered from the rain and elements. But quite a bother for homeowners sometimes.

2 Likes

Someone set free a tamed Jackdaw some years ago where we lived before. He was a menace, took pegs off washing lines, swooped down on the unsuspecting & was generally a nuisance. I felt sorry for him, until that Winter when he decided to roost under the eaves outside our bedroom window in the corner. All night long heā€™d moan ā€œPoor, poor Jackā€, we yelled at him, banged on the window, but he didnā€™t shut up. In the end he was taken by a neighbours cat so we then had peace. Moral, never rescue & hand rear a Corvid unless you are going to keep it a pet for itā€™s life.

2 Likes

In my area of England, a new house cannot be built unless the architect has made provisions for ā€˜bird bricksā€™ to be included during construction.

2 Likes