If you're a meat eater, could you hunt your own meat?

Would you really like to hunt your own meat?

1 Like

Only because I think itā€™s kinder than mass-farmed and slaughtered animals, and that the animals themselves would be healthier - but I am not a fan of ā€˜killing animals for funā€™ (and very much against it). It would probably take a lot of getting used to for me and I am not sure I could even do it, but if it meant less suffering then I would try my best to (I have never hunted anything in my life btw, and chances are I probably wonā€™t - but if I was in a position to, I would consider it).

I wish that being vegan was an option, but unfortunately for me itā€™s not (I donā€™t do very well on anything other than ā€˜species appropriateā€™ foods, such as Palaeolithic foods).

3 Likes

No - I could not do that. I am a hypocritical carnivore in as much as if I had to kill it myself I would probably never eat meat again! I even whimped out of Chef School because I could not face drawing/skinning a rabbit. To this day - although I love to cook - I am squeamish about bones and such.

1 Like

Iā€™ve moved our posts here as it warrants a discussion of its own (Iā€™ll also edit my post on the other thread as it was inviting it to go off-topic :lol:).

Hope thatā€™s ok :blush:

1 Like

If I had to, to stay alive I could probably snare a rabbit. Never had to so it isnā€™t relevant.

1 Like

Only if I had toā€¦no I wouldnā€™t ā€œ likeā€ to hunt my own meatā€¦I would find no pleasure in that whatsoever.

1 Like

I feel bad about this. I love animals but enjoy my burger and chicken nuggets too.
I have to divorce my mind from the slaughter and not think too much about it.
I freely admit I am a hypocrite. I have a vegetarian meal twice a week, but this is a cop out.

1 Like

Only if I absolutely had to. Iā€™m squeamish about a hook going in a fish.:roll_eyes::shushing_face:

1 Like

Ditto. Very against it. So much so that I confronted a few hunters who were baiting deer to hunt real close to our house. They actually listened and stopped :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I have hunted my food in the distant past when I was a telephone linesman in the west of NSW. It wasnā€™t difficult we just shot a rabbit by spotlighting. On one memorable occasion we tried a fox - it tasted and smelled absolutely disgusting.

Anyway who hasnā€™t kept chickens or rabbits for food? We had rabbits for Sunday dinner until I was nearly a teen - Chickens were a treat only for Christmas in those days.

1 Like

We donā€™t go to the butcher or any shops at the moment and get meat delivered from the supermarket.On the packet of their lamb chops thereā€™s a picture of a lamb gamboling in the fields.Personally I think thatā€™s a bit sick.

3 Likes

Perhaps theyā€™re depicting where they sourced it from

:044:

1 Like

I canā€™t see the humour in it myself.Anyway, there were probably thousands of them all in one big shed in India.

2 Likes

Iā€™m a bit past it now but I did hunt deer and wild pigs. Never hunted anything unless it was edible or a pest. I hate the idea of ā€œtrophy huntingā€. If you are not going to eat it donā€™t kill it. Stress to the animal should always be avoided as it causes a build up of lactic acid and other taste inhibitors. The most beautiful beef I have ever had was in Norfolk Island where cattle have right of way on the roads and when they are slaughtered they are offered an apple and then shot in the head . Grass fed makes a lot of difference too.

1 Like

well remaining in the antipodes with me mate CM - been on night shooting parties for what is classified by some as vermin kangaroos - but could not lift a rifle in anger - but did eat fresh meat for breakfast and it was quite divine! I do remember somewhere in the good book it saying that I give you all the animals and birds of the air to name and then burnt offering were demanding on worship days? - so the use [humane] of animals and their slaughter seems to have been condoned biblically?

however could I hunt and slaughter if I were starving and family where too - yes the survival instinct kicks in - and I suffer from the same syndrome as many - buying meat in the super market is one thing but slaughtering my own another

1 Like

Bratti, I love to fish, bait my own hook, and sometimes help others, gut and clean them, and love pan fried perch or grilled bass.
But, I could not shoot an animal, or trap one. My ex used to hunt deer, but he cleaned it. I cooked venison chops or roasts.

I could easy live on fish and no red meat.

2 Likes

Vegetarian thats an old Indian word meaning lousy hunter :slight_smile:

Seriously I donā€™t eat much meat I think if I had to hunt my own I would probably turn Vegi. ā€¦I could hunt a good cheese though :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Oh yes!

1 Like

I couldnā€™t hunt for meat, not at allā€¦but if it came to a choice between living or dying, then I would probably give it a go. But I would feel so guilty and selfish about itā€¦I donā€™t even like fishing. :frowning:

2 Likes

Well I could do that if I have to. I do know that the perch have thick back bones.
I also couldnā€™t shoot or kill an animal.

Ditto. :joy:

No shame in that.
Iā€™ll admit that with quite a bit of pride even. :+1:

3 Likes