If you were alone in a room with Thatcher, what would you do?

Your insight into mooting is interesting but meaningless. The Labour government might have finally acted on their early moots but that does not mean the resulting freedom to buy council houses was also directly linked to not building more. That took the Tory Housing Act of 1980. We can ponder over mootings right, left & centre all we want but all that matters is the details of the statutes implemented.

Even Arthur Scargill tried to use Thatcherā€™s right to buy policy.
Scargill used Thatcherite policy in bid to buy London flat - BBC News

Hi

Very simple really.
I would simply say give us a kiss darling, in a broad Yorkshire Accent.

That would get to her.

So? My point is that it was not bad, in of itself, to offer long term tenants the right to buy the place they called home. For a fair price. All very positive. My point is that it was very wrong to stop council house building along side that. That was the mistake.

ā€¦ and when a block goes up around here nowadays the flats are mostly private sales, next to that part-ownership, with a small percentage of social housing. I think thereā€™s rule saying thereā€™s got to be at least a few council/housing-trust properties, for people already living in the borough.

How long have they lived in the borough for and under what circumstances?

Oh I donā€™t know Chilli. But Iā€™ll vouch for you, say youā€™ve been lodging in my attic for 20 odd years, we canā€™t take it anymore but heā€™s a good lad really. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Youā€™ve got an attic in a west London post code areaā€¦ very posh, when can I move in d00d?

I promise to play my Stranglers albums very quietlyā€¦ honest guv! :+1:

are you nice 'n sleazy?

1 Like

Iā€™m not telling, things arenā€™t always black and white :wink:

1 Like

Iā€™m also one of those fortunate folk who was able to purchase my council house, thus securing a better future for my family, after working non stop in my lifetime. I think it was disgusting the way Mrs Thatcher was treated by her party, and all the stupid, ā€œDing Dong The Witch is Deadā€, rabble, who need to focus on some real horrors. Like Hamas & Hezbollah lover, Jeremy Corbyn, who has supported just about every nutcase regime going. There are plenty of other loonies, Scargill, Starmer, Owen Jones, Momentum, and loads more too numerous to mention. Mrs Thatcher left office with great dignity, for which I salute her. Itā€™s a pity the weasel politicians we have at the moment, donā€™t take inspiration from her career.

2 Likes

John, are you still grafting now? Your country needs you. :icon_wink:

1 Like

You seem to have taken a shine to the word ā€˜Mootā€™ Lincs, since you have referred to the word three timesā€¦Iā€™ll make a Yorkshireman of you yetā€¦
:sunglasses:

I remember interest rates were high at the time of us buying our council house. Coped OK though. I mended an extra video recorder or TV and Mrs mart cut or styled a few more heads of hair. :slight_smile:

1 Like