If you were alone in a room with Thatcher, what would you do?

If you were all alone in a room with Thatcher, what would you do?

1 Like

Ummā€¦canā€™t post that on an internet forum.:grinning:

1 Like

Do you remember this?

The Tories were always the party for the Toffs but they did use to acknowledge that they were obligated to help us workers too.

2 Likes

Iā€™d sit comfortably and quietly sipping my tea and ask " well Margaret tell me what it is like on the ā€œother sideā€ and how has it changed you?"

2 Likes

Iā€™d quietly turn my back and ignore her, a tribute to the few protesters who were allowed to be at her funeral parade and did just that

She was evil and wicked but I didnā€™t celebrate her death

But I do think the world would be a better place had she never been born

May she RIP and never be recalled to be in a room to face the anger and contempt she so richly deserved

2 Likes

Iā€™d sayā€¦ā€œWhen are you coming back Margaret? Because the government has gone to the dorgs since you leftā€ā€¦

5 Likes

Re-bury her?

1 Like

Iā€™d get her to stand on a soapbox and say something controversial in her loud hoity toity voice.

1 Like

strangle the old cow

3 Likes

Perhaps a slater would workā€¦
Or tiles.

I cannot understand the ongoing obsession with what Margaret Thatcher did, now 40 years ago.

Successive governments including 13 years of a labour government have done nothing to turn back any of Thatcherā€™s policies.

6 Likes

Viewing all of the politics in England in the last 50 years or so, Iā€™m still looking for sturdy and positive changes that have transpired because of learning from the past.

I can recall thinking that Ms. Thatcher had courage and conviction when she was in power. I was younger and didnā€™t look deep into the matters of the UK then.
Since then? Tony Blair, Boris Johnson, Liz Truss???

So, what would I say to her? I would be respectful and polite. I am sure she would treat me the say way.

7 Likes

Hello Prestbury, a warm welcome to Over50sChat :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I would try to persuade Thatcher that running down British manufacturing was not the sacrifice to make in her battle to remove the power & activism of the unions. And that private ownership does not necessarily mean excellent management and great access to private capital. It can simply mean offensively high pay for executives and critical businesses running up very high debt. Lastly Iā€™d want to persuade her that there are places outside London that need investment (did you know that when London docklands were being developed something like 80% of transport investment for the UK was spent on that area). Lastly to suggest that using oil revenue to fund significant tax cuts was short sighted and setting up a sovereign fund would be better for the country in the long run.
Oh and not to decommission that navy boat in the south atlantic.
I think that would cover it.

2 Likes

Crack a few Arthur Scargill jokes :grin:

1 Like

What a horrible and juvenile thing to do at a funeral procession - it would make no difference to the deceased but her family would have been there and what an insult to them.

5 Likes

Was it just her usual cost cutting exercise or did she have something more devious in mind?

I think thereā€™d be a lot of people in that queue Mike, haha!

I remember how Ding Dong The Wicked Witch is Dead got to number one or two in the charts the week following her death:

I think she was a despicable, evil person - I hope the likes of her never gets into a position of power ever again.

1 Like

All things considered it was a long time ago, itā€™s not just about where weā€™ve been itā€™s about where weā€™re going, dead politicians arenā€™t exactly an inspiration in my book, forgive my melancholia if you willšŸ˜”

1 Like

Hopefully we can learn from the past - and vow to never let a horrid person like her in power ever again :blush:

1 Like