If you had a whole day where you could do anything you wanted, what would you do?

Same here. I don’t live close to a beach so don’t go often at all. I used to live within short driving distance but that was before the traffic got so bad it’s hardly worth trying to go

1 Like

That’s the joy of being retired. We live in Dorset, so many wonderful places to see plus Hampshire (where I was born and brought up), Devon and Somerset. Plus a bit further afield there’s gorgeous Cornwall.

3 Likes

wum …

:crazy_face:

That’s OK, but not a proper beach and no going in the water allowed. Ducks crap on the sand, and it’s generally not nice/clean, no tide to wash the sand daily.

2 Likes

I’m about 2 hours drive from any proper beach, the wrong side of town.

2 Likes

Watch the Olympics on the telly.

1 Like

The sad thing is it finishes this weekend. I wonder how many wives will be happy.

1 Like

I had an aunt who would spend all of her two weeks annual holiday from work sitting in the front of the TV watching Wimbledon. :grinning:

1 Like

If I could choose, it would be to go to an art museum, maybe the Metropolitan Museum of Art, or go revisit the Smithsonian Institute in Washington DC.

A day packed full of wonder, shared with a friend, of course. Tiring but well worth it.

2 Likes

I can do that too. :grinning:

2 Likes

Call Holly Willoughby and see if she’s got any plans for the day…
:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

I do miss easy access to a beach. Nothing like a sea breeze and walk along the beach is there

1 Like

Nothing would give me greater pleasure than, with permission, be allowed a whole morning getting used to the Great Sauer Organ, Berlin, and then given the rest of the day to play anything I wish.
Great ‘Sauer’ organ | Berliner Dom

EDIT … an organist plays the whole building and not just the organ👍

3 Likes

During a holiday in Guernsey a few years ago, we were walking past the local church in St Peter port and heard the beautiful sound of the church organ. The door was open and we ventured in to an empty church where a young lad of about 15 was playing some classical pieces. We sat down and was mesmerised by the sound. We sat for over half an hour before his parents arrived to take him home. Apparently, they would come to do their shopping and with the permission of the vicar he practised his mastery of the keyboard.
One of life’s magical moments we will never forget…

7 Likes

The emptier the building, the greater the resonance from the organ. A full house with clothed people absorbs too much and can slightly dull the best of performances.

2 Likes

Acoustics LongDriver?

1 Like

Yes, spot on there Foxy and in some buildings the resonance with differing reflected/adsorbed sound can spoil the intended sound. The Royal Festival Hall was designed with sound in mind, but in reality, it did not perform exactly as expected and over time adjustments and differing additions were made.
Royal Festival Hall - Wikipedia

2 Likes

I’ve never felt comfortable in a room with clumpy wooden or tiled floors, it reminds me of the assembly hall at school where we congregated first thing in the morning for prayers. Probably too much reverberation…I much prefer carpeted floors.

2 Likes

Sympathetic Resonance is what you have referred to and in building structures this is mostly unwanted, but in some musical instruments such as my Sitar, it is what makes its individual sound; mine has 13 sympathetic (non playing) strings which gives it a superb unique sound.

2 Likes

Thought for today. I would probably think for the day instead of just exist.

1 Like