If you could have picked another career, what would it have been?

I’ve been reading this book

It talks about choosing a career by looking at the intersection of what you love and what makes money.

If you could have chosen another career based on something you love and still get paid for, what would it be?

3 Likes

When I was in the 6th Form I wanted to continue to university and get a degree in biology
But I failed A level chemistry, so with the A levels I did get I shopped around and was offered a place at a Poly to do a professional qualification in librarianship

Then I passed Chemistry (just!) in a resit, and went on to university as planned
But I failed my first year exams and had to leave
I got a job as a lab assistant, obtained HNC Applied Biology by day release, and gradually worked my way up the greasy pole, working on product development for a food company and eventually becoming a supervisor.

But from time to time I wonder what would have happened if I’d stayed with librarianship?
Perhaps I should have taken the hint, and I think I could quite happily have settled as something like a librarian… or archivist… or curator…or restorer

1 Like

Oh I wanted to be a photo journalist for National Geographic, and then later on I wanted to be an Anthropologist, travelling to far flung places to study indigenous people and their histories. So suppose travel & exploration played a huge part in my dream career. Ironic that I don’t even have a passport now :joy:

1 Like

I would liked to have a retreat meditation healing sanctuary with beautiful gardens where those who need to escape the world for a time could come for love and peace .

3 Likes

This sounds lovely, Susan!

1 Like

I’ve never wanted to do anything and you can’t do that without money so I would have probably married Princess Anne.There would have been some unpleasant duties but the working conditions would make up for it.

So interesting how one turn of events led to the next thing. One wonders how life would have changed with just one small change in one exam on maybe a good or bad day.

For various unpleasant reasons, I left school with little qualifications and no ambition and drifted into the world of engineering, which I excelled at, but never really enjoyed. Given what I know now and maybe a time machine, I would go back to them days and launched myself into the world of portraiture photography.

1 Like

There ae several that would have appealed to me, but one in particular would have been a Rabbi. Since then my faith has fallen almost into non existence so I could have not done so with 100% sincerity. Looking back on my career until retirement, that was good as well as financially rewarding, so was most probably the best for me.

1 Like

It sounds like you’ve thought about this a lot. I hope that you’ll get to visit some of these places via VR or Google Maps if you can’t get to the actual place.

I wonder how many of us have experienced this? I wonder if it is even possible to find a job or career that fulfils every area in your life, in the ikigai way :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I’ve talked to a couple of them. One especially had a passion for studying and learning about the religion. Very philosophical.

Also reminds me of the Harry Kemelman series where a Rabbi solves problems using the teachings of the religion. Fun set of books.

It did occur to me to be a vicar, having only one working day a week appealed to me many years ago however being an atheist was something of a drawback in that profession.

2 Likes

I wonder how much that field has changed, and how it would be now. Do you still keep up with what’s happening in that field?

I’m pretty sure that’s not how that works. Haha.

I’m trying to get into this at the moment and have done the occasional shoot with professional models. The technology today is light years beyond what it was in the late 70’s and would have needed a completely different skillset back then. However, I still look back sometimes and wonder what might have been had I known what I know today.

1 Like

Having spoken to and with several so called ‘clergy’ across differing religions, I concluded ages ago that some of those were underlying atheists too, in it for the job only.

2 Likes

Maybe a blue movie star but I don’t have the credentials for that :joy::zipper_mouth_face::innocent:
Some think I should be a clown well I have the red nose and big feet for that :clown_face:
Seriously I was really happy in my career in the MoD. Did a variety of jobs, my last job was magazine safety (no that’s not making sure all the periodicals are put away properly :joy:) which was always exciting as different problems would arise each day.

1 Like

What was that all about then? :thinking: Ohhh wait…MoD, right gun stuff?

1 Like

Sorry can say no more nudge nudge wink wink. :grinning:

1 Like