If you could have an all-expenses paid trip to see any famous world monument, where would you go?

as i said been there, beware of the locals they will rob you not even given half a chance. The will offer you a free headband or beads and when you accept they demand payment.

I took a three week trip to Egypt some years ago, Luxor and Cairo.

Used public transport in Cairo, the metro, service taxis as well as the regular (much haggling ) taxis.

Fascinating place but yes, as you say, you need your wits about you.

Much giving out of baksheesh!

we did the river trip on the River nile but did spend a day in Cairo to see the mummies and artifacts.
We did a return trip from Luxor to the Aswan Dam and back,also went to the valley of the kings as well as the big pointed things made of blocks, sorry can’t spell pyramids.

abu simbil

going through the locks trying to flog anything they can

2 Likes

Machu Pichu

1 Like

It was very enjoyable and gave an isolated time to think alone, but alas as the years passed (I’m now in the 80+ category) that excellent exercise became impossible due to general body failing and now slow walking is all that I can manage.

2 Likes

I’d love to have the chance to spend a week with daughter and cat down in London, England to actually get inside Buckingham Palace and Kensington Palace. On the weekend back, we’d stop over in Althorp, West Northamptonshire to visit Diana, Princess of Wales’ final resting place.

2 Likes

I used to work with Royal Palaces and I think I can safely say that although both are excellent, they are outdone by Windsor Castle. Alas, the public can only access the State Rooms at Windsor (ground level), where the best rooms are up on the magnificent but private Principal Floor.

2 Likes

Yes, Windsor would be another one I’d love to see, but transport is a problem sometimes.

Just last night I was watching a YouTube video where Moe Sargi from Canada travelled to London to do some Paranormal research and videos for his channel and went to Nandos in Windsor.

The other place would be Stonehenge…

It is very sad to hear that :pensive:
All my best wishes that it will remain like that as long as possible. :pray:

1 Like

a slow walk is better than stationary pal, i seem to walk faster than i should and get breathless,i’m in a similar age group to you, how is your balance ?

1 Like

My balance is reasonable considering I occasionally experience postural hypotension brought about by ANF (atrial natriuretic factor) of which little can be done.

2 Likes

Several coach companies organise trips to Windsor Castle, dropping off right at the Castle and then nip off to park in Alma Road Coach Park. Also rail away-days used to run to SWR Windsor Riverside (end of line for Windsor branch line), but I’m not sure if away-days are still available.

2 Likes

Well, lucky moi… I’ve just found this video of a lovely guide which went inside Buckingham Palace

So, until we win that magical trip, we can enjoy the views of the news sorry about the rhyme…

2 Likes

I wouldn’t want to see all that opulence,it would make me angry :grinning:

I’ve been to Versailles twice and never been inside with the others just had a good wander around the gardens on my own.

1 Like

I went shortly after the first gulf war… I’m not particularly into cruising of any sort but at that time Nile Cruisers were potentially a target for a GPMG tucked away on the banks of the river.

One of my most abiding memories was flying Egypt Air from Luxor to Cairo and back.

The view was staggering… the verdant inundation in contrast to the the terrain of the wilderness!

This is a beach Elafonissi Crete with its pink sand and crystal blue seas , so lovely I’d like to swim again in those warm waters.

Or if it’s monument . I was blown away by Petra Jordan.

2 Likes

I’d love to visit Petra.

2 Likes

Just remember that all that opulence is 100% state owned :+1:

1 Like

And how does that benefit ordinary people?

1 Like

Only by adding to country’s accumulated wealth; its an asset only.

1 Like