If not Conservative, then who?

Nobody is taught that at Eton :frowning_face:

3 Likes

@PixieKnuckles ,. Eton must be abolished, they preach inequality there ?
:-1::-1:

2 Likes

@PixieKnuckles , Your powers of observation are only exceeded by
perspicacity madam !! :+1::+1:

1 Like

I believe the question is wrong. I think the question should be how do we get a government whose primary goal is to end the two party, first past the post system. With some form of proportional representation it is highly unlikely that we get one party who can dump in their ill-considered ideas. The need for coalitions (and not a meeting of unequals which we had back in 2010) where the other members dampen the insanity of people like Truss. Or Corbyn.

2 Likes

I would have to wait to see which Candidates are standing in my constituency before I decided on who to vote for.
Though my choice is very unlikely to cut through the two-party stronghold of the First Past The Post System - I long for the day when we get proportional representation.

2 Likes

@PixieKnuckles I almost started a similar thread last night but could not even see anyone near the stadium let alone side-lines of the pitch.

I think SNP and Nicola Sturgeon in particular do a good job but in Scotland, she appears to be thought a lot of by majority of my Scottish friends.

Like you no idea on Liberals at all - I assume they have a leader and policie? their silence seems to lead me to not think of them.

Labour needs to offer “something” rather than seemingly to me to be sitting and waiting for the Conservatives to fail. What’s the saying opposition does not win elections governments loose them. But even with all the “conservative” disasters and mistimed announcements Labour don’t appear to have a strategy to entice. On a personal note, Keir Starmer something about him not sure what.

Both main parties seem to be out of kilter with the Country unable to read the mood or feeling of the people.

Conservatives do you know what I think they would win the next election purely because Labour are not offering a strong enough alternative.

My thought would be not a party in power but individual politicians who work for the Common Good.

I vote on a “local level” so whoever the candidate who puts forward the best case regardless of party is who I would vote for.

1 Like

Nicola Sturgeon has coped some flack on this forum (Ginger Dwarf was one particularly insulting description) but from what I have seen of her she seems sensible and articulate (which is a lot more than can be said about Liz Truss)

I know little about her policies but she seems to have her head screwed on.

1 Like

@Kazz Labour can promise all the dreams they like, but look what happens when politicians get the keys. It’s hard to think of the little people when you are suddenly given the power to sweep them all away.

Nicola Sturgeon wouldn’t touch No.10…her agenda is to gain independence for Scotland, then she is going to let someone else take over (she says)

Individual politicans sounds alright…Rory Stewart seems like a good Tory pick?

1 Like

Sadly oh so true. We all recalled what happened she the lib dems were in coalition with the Tories, and how quickly their proclaimed scruples went out of the window; plus how quickly Clegg landed himself a cushy little number working for the fat cat Facebook afterwards.

Let’s not even mention the useless chump Danny Alexander and his rapid entry into Chinese banking…

1 Like

Oh yeah. Forgot about that little trollop.

They, single handedly, destroyed any chance of the LibDems ever being trusted again.Tens of thousands of students will blame them for backtracking on their promise to mitigate loans, for a start.

But, we digress. What are realistic options for future governments?

1 Like

Any party who has a green agenda will definitely not get my vote. It’s net zero and all the planet saving rubbish that goes with it that is largely responsible for the mess we find ourselves in today. When humanity looks back to the beginning of the 21st century, they will be amazed that so many people could have been taken in by such a global con…

2 Likes

No one I can see on the horizon can you?

1 Like

Almost certainly Labour.

We all admire independent thinkers who can express opinions that are counter to the normally accepted perspectives. Such independent thinking can challenge our concepts and assumptions. However such challenging thoughts do need to come accompanied by insights, evidence and step by step logic to get us on side. Simply making a claim on its own does not challenge anyone or any concept.
Then, worse, when that independent thinker runs a stream of contentious claims we are left wondering: how come everything is against the grain for this chap? And how come so much of it aligns with the internets worse bucket of theories. Climate change is a con. Putin is the good guy. Mainstream media is selling us lies. The vaccine is a big pharma con. Lockdown was never needed. There is no evidence of a fourth plane hitting the pentagon. And so on.
I’d understand one person on their own coming up with one or two bits of ‘against the grain’ thinking. But how is it that such people always adhere to all of the same alt-views?

1 Like

That’ll be one fewer voting going into the box then, since I know of no party who aren’t vying for the green vote.

2 Likes

Off topic. Start your own thread?:wink::grinning:

1 Like

You are wrong on so many levels here strathmore…
At the risk of going off topic Allow me to correct your misguided opinion of me…
(1) Climate change is not a con. The climate is not static but changes constantly. Hence the swing from ice age to global warming. We experience extreme weather, we always have, but until 24 hour, seven day news coverage it’s only recently that we have been brainwashed by it. Somebody is making a great deal of money out of focusing on the extreme weather and blaming us, making us feel guilty while people suffer from occurrences that are, and never were in our control. Despite all of man’s (and woman’s) efforts and suffering, it is not going to make one iota of difference.
(2) I don’t consider Putin a good guy, but neither do I believe that the establishment are supporting the Ukraine for our benefit. They have their own agenda, and it’s got nothing to do with freedom. Propaganda is rife from both sides and I doubt we will ever know the truth.
(3) The main stream media have a habit of only reporting what they want you to hear, and they leave out the things that they don’t. Not necessarily telling lies, but not telling the whole truth either.
(4) The vaccine is definitely not a con, but personally I don’t think it’s wise to inject it into my body, that should be my choice to make, and not anyone else’s. Lockdown has destroyed the economy, when all that was needed was protection of the vulnerable, but I agreed with lockdown at the time because we had to do something to take the pressure off the NHS.
And I have never considered what happened on 9/11…So strathmore, stop making up ridiculous stories in an attempt to discredit me.

2 Likes

Who is making a ‘ great deal of money ‘ and how ?
Can’t be the scientists because they are all in agreement that climate change is real
The earth is 10 % hotter than it was a hundred years ago
Maybe it’s the Illuminati or the lizard people .

Of course mani stream media is all lies and agendas
Much better to go to Twitter or conspiraciesRus .com .

1 Like

Oh I don’t know … some folk are capitalising on it and making a whole host of money out of scaremongering.

You can forgive anyone for been more than a little cynical about the continued hype.

For instance, getting rid of fossil fuels and turning to electric.
It’ll never happen before the last well had been drilled or gas pipe pumped empty, it’s not economically sound to be so ecologically minded …but in the meantime electric cars are going to be foisted on us all and a dependency upon electric.

1 Like