If artificial intelligence bots achieve sentience, should they have rights?

I was literally about to start this topic when I stumbled on this article, making the topic all the more real.

More and more engineers are claiming that some bots have reached sentience. A Google engineer was put on administrative leave after claiming that the AI bot he was working on has reached sentience and should be afforded rights.

Other engineers have also claimed that AI is nearing sentience.

The companies who are creating these AI bots deny any sentience, but wouldn’t they? They’re trying to sell them.

The engineer was put on administrative leave for breaking Google’s confidentiality policy.

As AI bots come so close to sentience that the engineers creating them will fight for the bot’s rights against the engineer’s better interests, should these bots have rights?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/06/11/google-ai-lamda-blake-lemoine/

If AI bots achieve sentience, should they be afforded rights? Should they be allowed to be treated like workhorses or slaves?

1 Like

It’s funny but I just saw this story on Twitter a second before you posted it.

The subject was the main storyline in the series “Humans” which set out a near future world where human like robots did everything for people who could afford to buy one. There was a great deal of friction in society as a result and then some (mutant) robots become sentient and that’s where the trouble starts.

It’s very important that bots do not become sentient so I am not surprised that this is being hushed up. I’m sure that like the fictional scientist in the TV series (and many other similar sci fi stories before it) someone out there is desperate to be the one to create artificial sentient life. It gives them a god-like rush to think they could do this. But it is an extremely dangerous step.

The post I saw joked that perhaps the sentient bot ordered the dismissal of the employee…

1 Like

I was thinking of that series too. GMTA! :slight_smile:

How will they stop it though? As AI keeps learning and quantum computing gets better, the neural networks and the data become more and more like a human brain. At some point, it seems inevitable that a neural network of machine learning will approximate a brain to the point of it being indistinguishable from a human’s thinking.

Not on twitter, I saw that too.

No Way!!!

I thought they already had rights, we make them President of the USA. :wink:

No.Not,If they behave like the bots do on this forum.

1 Like

Exterminate! Exterminate!

Dalek

1 Like

satanic influences perhaps???

1 Like

There’s a whole lot of alleged humans who should not have human rights extended to them.

1 Like

@butterscotch , So would a computer crashing due overload equate
to a nervous breakdown in a human ??
Could the computer commit suicide ?
Can a computer have empathy or hate ??
Donkeyman! :thinking::thinking:

Nah, computers can never become sentient :astonished::robot:

That would mean they would have to have feelings and a soul

What happens as their programming develops is that their responses make it look as if they have feelings and a soul

But there’s nothing there really, they’re just like characters on a Star Trek holo deck

But any how, how do you prove anything or anyone is sentient?

You may assume they are, by logic, their reactions and your experience of your own feelings and consciousness

But the only person, creature or thing you can be absolutely sure is sentient is yourself!

And you may be wrong

Maybe you are the only sentient creature in the whole universe and the rest of us are bots, zombies or creations of your mind :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Now there’s a lonely thought!:scream:

I thought this was a really good piece about it, very thought provoking

https://slate.com/technology/2016/04/the-challenge-of-determining-whether-an-a-i-is-sentient.html

1 Like

Oh, apart from Johnny5, who is obviously alive :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Demon Seed - a scary film on the subject!!

1 Like

I’ve never seen that one, I’ll look it up :+1:

This was a good film. It never resolves whether she was really sentient or not

But her programming did develop enough to let her be deceitful, manipulative and casually murderous in order to survive

And the wonderful Yul Brynner in the original film “Westworld” - written and directed by Michael Chrichton - so much better than the recent TV series!

1 Like

Bots Rule ??

@Maree "how do you prove anything is sentient ) ?
Stick a pin in em ??
Donkeyman! :+1::grin::+1:

2 Likes

Nah, that won’t work, you can program anything to say “ow!” and punch you on the nose if you stick a pin in ‘em :+1:

They are just programmed to act as if it hurt, not really feeling the hurt and anger

2 Likes

Ah, now that was a good film

I quite liked the series, though

1 Like

So Data is not sentient?

For those who haven’t seen the episode, Data had a trial to prove his sentience on Star Trek: The Next Generation.

2 Likes