I work in a dangerous industry

There was an incident 2 days ago at a heavy industry business a few doors from my place of work.
A 16 year old male was using an overhead crane and unfortunately he was standing directly below the suspended load.
Something gave way and the load fell on him. He died of a crush injury.
I use overhead cranes moving loads up to 10 tons. At any moment there could be equipment failure.
With this in mind, we never stand under a suspended load.
A 16 year old does not understand what can go wrong and it was up to his fellow workers to look out for him.
A tragedy that should never have happened.

5 Likes

Gosh , there are no words , awful

Truly tragic. He was so glad to have gotten the job, he was happy he was about to get his car licence. The world was his to grasp. Cut short because no one was looking out for him in a very dangerous environment.

Yes, it should not have happened.
Here in the UK safety regulations must be adhered to and to sum up, these instructions muse be observed at all times:-

:point_right:All lifting operations involving lifting equipment must be:

2 Likes

There are regulations here in Australia as well. But most industries do not adhere to them.
They just hope that a tragedy does not occur.

1 Like

So sorry…accidents happen but so tragic and very sad for him and his family

1 Like

Incredibly tragic for one so young to lose his life at work.

1 Like

A tragedy certainly but should a 16-year old have been allowed to used that load? We would not have considered that in the industries I’ve worked in - steel mills, paper mills, cement works, petrochem etc…

2 Likes

I have no information regarding why a 16 year old was using such dangerous equipment. My employer does not employ anyone under 18.

1 Like

So sad,poor soul,his co-workers must be feeling awful.
I would be surprised if health and safety don`t get involved.

1 Like

Yes, incredibly sad.
Worksafe always gets involved with workplace deaths.

1 Like

But surely someone, somewhere is to be held to account? Hardly just another day at the office.

1 Like

No doubt someone will be held to account. 4th workplace death in WA this year.
Industrial manslaughter laws have been introduced in Western Australia.
Under the Western Australia WHS Act, convictions for industrial manslaughter can result in individuals facing a maximum fine of $5 million and/or up to 20 years in jail, or corporations face a $10 million fine.

I wonder who, if anyone, will be blamed in this case? I recall one very serious, almost fatal, incident. The guy was in hospital for months. It was his error - he opened the wrong breaker. He returned to work and was immediately given a serious chastisement by the Managing Director not to mention the Health and Safety Executive. Unlike your 16-year old, this guy was about 60 at the time. No excuses.

Someone will be held to account. 4th workplace death in WA this year.
Industrial manslaughter laws have been introduced in Western Australia.
Under the Western Australia WHS Act, convictions for industrial manslaughter can result in individuals facing a maximum fine of $5 million and/or up to 20 years in jail, or corporations face a $10 million fine.

1 Like

Someone should be responsible.
I’m sorry this tragedy happened where you work.

What a sad thing to happen to such a young man. It wasn’t your place of work, nor your employer who hired him, thank goodness. Still, a tragedy you and your coworkers won’t soon forget.

If one positive comes from this, it will be that those in your work environment will be more cautious with others. Sorry you had to witness this, Bretrick.

It was not my workplace. A few doors up from where I work. So tragic :cry:

2 Likes

I am going to talk with my workmates about this as a group tomorrow.
Reinforce the safety aspect of our workplace.

1 Like

Yes! I forgot that part. It still must have spooked you some. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like