I will be a nervous 'mum' next Tuesday!

Holly is booked in for her spay.

Feel wicked inflicting this on her but know it has to be done, and the sooner the better, IMO.

She is steadily gaining weight (put on .2 kg since last week) but I stilll need to increase her food slightly. I am so afraid of underfeeding her.

I think what is worrying me more is the anaesthetic, and the wound. My niece’s shih tzu had an infection following her spay.

Have taken out the plan, to cover all the continuing flea and worming treatment, two vet consultations, anal gland wotsit, and money off the spay. Paid it all today.

I was looking into the idea of getting a surgical vest. Can anyone recommend one? Thanks.

How old is Holly now Jazzi. There really is no rush. You don’t have to have her spayed yet. She would be fine if you waited a while longer and may well benefit from waiting if she is not fully mature.

Just over six months.

I want to get it done as during the spring and summer I want to get her into regular doggy daycare. It’ll be like a holiday for her, and I can do things I need to do. I don’t want the threat of a season suddenly happening.

Hi Jazzi :slight_smile: your choice of course.
I always spay my bitches in between seasons so that is 3 months from the start of a season when the hormone cycle is at its least active so less chance of hormone related beahavioural problems.
I would not wish to spay immediately before a season is due because at that time the blood vessels that supply the uterus and ovaries increase in size which can add to the risks of surgery. At 6 months Holly is due to to come in season at any time.

Having a small breed , with a bitch that comes in season at 6 months I would be looking to spay at 9 months.
If I had a larger breed I would prefer to wait longer for the growth plates to close, this takes place around 8 months in
small breeds but up to 18 months in large breeds.

I know all the arguments about rescue centers spaying young bitches before their first season but they have their reasons which are that is the safest option under their circumstances but it is not necessarily the best thing for the bitch.

I am not telling you what you should do Jazzie just saying what I would do :slight_smile:

It’s a scary time I know but o always think after they are over it the best time of their lives begins. No worry about pregnancy no worry about awful cancers. It’s just fun from then on.

We hesitated with Betty being so small and vet wouldn’t do it until she hit 5lb but once she got that goal post it was no stopping her. Elsie was so depressed each season she had we were very relieved for her when she was done, no more confusin and unhappiness.

…or Pyometra, it cost me the lives of 2 bitches years ago and almost a 3rd in the days when routine spaying was not the norm.

That’s a nasty one haven’t experienced it here but we did lose Rosie chihuahua to a dreadful rear end, cancer that was only there because we didn’t spay her.

We too have always allowed our bitches their first season, then have the procedure done a couple of months afterwards. Personal choice of course but many vets also think that the best way…

The only reason our vet says wait until after first season is they can then see if there are any problems, personally having had two dogs now that had problems, Elsie hugely upset and depressed, and Katie corgi came into season every six weeks after she started. I am happier to do it prior to season one.

But few vets disagree with you Barry.

I am happy to do it now, too, and it suits me and my planned lifestyle. Nurse didn’t try to put me off.

I googled that Meg. Not heard of it either.

That’s good to hear, I’m sure it will all go well, it’s scarier for us usually than them, my late Mollie didn’t want to come home she loved the vet and the fuss so much, Lucy too really enjoyed the nurses making a fuss of her.

Sorry Jazzi, but I entirely agree with Meg and Barry on this. I wouldn’t dream of spaying her before she’s even had her first season if she was mine.

The nurse won’t ‘put you off’ because it’s money in their till. :slight_smile:
It can also make them incontinent later in life if spayed before they’ve finished growing and developing, and the vet will then get paid for treating that as well.

Sorry if it sounds harsh Jazzi, and it’s probably not what you want to hear, but I’d really do your homework on this first, if I were you, and then decide. There is loads of information out there about this.

Oh dear Jazzi…you must be in a quandary over what to do after reading all of these replies…

I almost waited too long to have Gracie spayed because I wasn’t sure whether or not I wanted to breed her. She developed a rather nasty infection and required emergency surgery…at about 18 months.

I am pleased to say that our story had a happy ending…but if I had it to do over, I most certainly wouldn’t have waited.

Jazzi…all you can do is follow your heart. Wishing you and Holly the very best outcome… :049:

Thank you BF, I WILL follow my heart, and my head, and do what is best for me. I know some of you mean well, but please, I am asking you nicely, take a step back with your harsh comments. Thank you.

My dog, my choice.

Is this your first dog Jazzi?

First owned by just me, Muddy. Any particular reason for asking? We did have dogs when I was younger and with parents.

Just asking .


Vets are knife happy any spaying is not at all necessary unless there is some medical problem to overcome.

As others have said if you do decide let her mature first and have at least one seaon before doing anything