I want to make a video, but I don't know where to start

OK, you point the camera and push the button, you can record sound & motion, pan the camera …

It’s the editing and uploading I’m unfamiliar with. Plus I want to keep it simple, as in less is more. I don’t want to record sound. And I want lots of short recordings, say 2 to 10 seconds each fitted together.

Thanks in advance for your input. I know I’ve got the equipment GX80 + 25mm lens. Here is the sort of thing I have in mind, made with that equipment: it’s 1 minute long and I counted 24 clips.

I am not at my PC at the moment so cannot be precise but it is pretty easy to join clips using a program free with Windows 10 and like you as I cannot turn off the mic with my camera I strip the audio out with another bit of software.
First thing in the mornng i will post again with the info. Uploading to Youtube is also pretty straight forward.

1 Like

Dood

editing is a big part of video, and a decent editing suite helps that is eay to use.
Do you have a computer that takes disk drives? If so I can give you copy of Adobe premier elements 11 and Adobe photoshop elemets11 for both windows and mac
you may just have to register with adobe and tell them you have been given it so they can activate the programs if they need to be
they are old programs but still good and should work in compatable mode for windows 7 or 8
Wind noise is every video makers nighmare but using a dedcat on an extrn mic help.
Sound is an important part of making a video it can add power and intensity

1 Like

One thing you can do and it is free is to watch videos and films. OK yer I know you do that anyway. but do you look at the angles the video is take at to start with. Forget about content and watch as if your making the video. How often close up or distance. are they tracking movement and if so how. How long is each sequence. Is some numpty going to walk right across you shot (happened to me many tmes) avoid making a video with specific children in, stick with crowd scenes so you can’t be accused of you know what.
Like taking stills videos are the same in respect of your interest. Street scene videos are popular as are nature ones. You don’t even have to stay with daylight shot evening and night fror example.
even do slow motion is fun
It is a completly new world after 10+years still learning the art. A tripod is a must with a fluid head helps

One I enjoyed making was this one

[quote=“d00d, post:1, topic:90754, full:true”]
Here is the sort of thing I have in mind[/quote]

Forget about that sort of thing, d00d, and start thinking rhino.
:rhinoceros: :thinking:

1 Like

OH forgot to mention if using a camera and I found so annoying which is why I originally went for a camcorder With a camera I found that if using auto focus you ( or at least I did) get the lens clicking sound on the audio as it changes focus, it drove me mad, tried manual focus and impossible to keep the camera still. only thing is to use say a 15 mtr audio cable to keep a mic well away.

Dood if your anywhere near East Sussex sometime drop in and pick my brains if they are not rolling on the floor

Merging video using thw Windows 10 Photos app.

Removing audio.
Remove Audio from Video in Windows 10: 4 Free Ways.

1 Like

Thanks for your input guys. I’ll study it all later. :upside_down_face:

@d00d …if you want real simple do what I did.

I just used a bunch of clips from my phone … then used Window Live Movie Maker ( came with Window 7, I don’t know if later versions still include it).
It even has an upload to youtube feature though I’ve never used that.

1 Like

Thanks for your comments/recommendations guys. I haven’t looked at any of your suggestions yet, but will refer to this thread later on. I seem to have lost my mojo, I now don’t know what or why I want to make videos of. But I’ll get out with my camera & nifty fifty soon, take some stills and try a bit of videoing, get back home and see if I can make anything interesting with what I’ve got. Then that might encourage me to film something with a little more purpose.

BTW I love a good cooking vid, but I don’t have the kitchen for it, plus, it could get messy trying cooking and videoing on my own at the same time. Webspoon World is a joy to watch, short clips, sometime speeded up or slowed down, all so clean and decisive.

Dood
be very carful about putting copywrited songs on video sound tracks.Youtube are hot on watching out for this. Safer to use royalty free music

1 Like