I Think I’ve Made A Huge Mistake, Getting Sky Q

It’s a puzzle to me too Art .
We have BT and it seems to go up all the time .
I never find anything good on and then I always fall asleep when I do !
Thought about sky but you know just could be bothered all to complicated for me.

Muddy, l am a bit restricted in the choice of a provider because there is no cable in my road.
I didn’t think £10 a month is too bad and l was only paying £7.65 a month before l changed to Sky Q.

Jazzi, For me to get an extra Q box, l would have to pay an extra £13 a month. I don’t really watch much television in other rooms but it’s nice to have the option.
At the moment, l have five other televisions that can’t be used. Maybe they could, with an Amazon stick or Apple TV but lm not sure you can get ‘live’ tv with them?

It’s all too confusing isn’t it. :102:

Realist, l am Sorry for the delay in replying. I have checked the other televisions and they only have aerial leads from the wall plugged into them. Except the aerial signal isn’t going into them!

Longy, There are so many technical permutations, it just starts to do your head in! :slight_smile:

I agree. I suppose it’s because there are so many similar systems but made by different companies. Standardisation seems to be getting worse.

Hi Ray, l could only get Freeview in all the other rooms. Except, the kitchen where l could watch the same channel that l was playing on the main tv. This was made possible by whatever the builders put in the loft.

It was getting Sky News on the other televisions that threw me into thinking l was able to get Freesat as well as Freeview.

Yes, l think this is what has happened and for why l can’t get anything except a fizzy screen on all the other televisions.
They said, I can revert back to my old Sky Plus box. I asked if l could have a new one as it’s old now. They said what you said, ‘You could buy one from eBay’!

I think my only choice is to stay with the new Q box and try and persevere with a picture that strains my eyes to the point l can’t watch it!
The alternative is to just throw good money after bad to purchase a refurbished Sky Plus box that might not be reliable.
Then to sort out something so that my other televisions work off the digital aerial. I did read something about a ‘hybrid’ something to go on the dish?

You can’t use the sky dish as an aerial I’m afraid. From what you have said it seems the TV-OUT on your Sky + HD box was feeding the kitchen TV and the other TVs must have been fed from a terrestrial TV aerial. The change to Sky Q explains why the kitchen TV no longer works but I don’t understand why the others have been affected.

I know l can’t use the dish as an aerial but l wondered if adding this hybrid LNB. to the dish, would restore the signal for the other televisions?

You mentioned this earlier

“When the original Sky dish was fitted for Sky plus. It had a quad LNB. Chris my ex partner, fitted two extra leads to the dish to allow an older Skybox to work in another room. It had no card in it.”

Is this still in place?

The sceptic in me thinks that they have purposely disconnected your other TVs so that you will have to upgrade to Sky multiscreen or something. The problems we get with technology doesn’t happen by accident.

Have you tried asking on the Sky community Art?

No it’s not Ray, they fitted a new dish as they said the old one was falling apart!
The new dish doesn’t have the quad LNB’s that the previous dish had.

It’s more the older skybox I meant Art, I was wondering if your partner had set it up as Freesat and that was what was feeding the other TVs. If it was then that hybrid LNB probably would work.

Longy, I have been looking on some site that l think may be Sky?
That is where l read about the hybrid LNB which is all well and good but it’s not fair, if l have to go to all the expense to make good, something that l haven’t caused.

I forgot to mention earlier. Yes, you can give commands to the remote. I don’t know how to stop rewind and fast forward so l press the side button of the remote and say, ‘Stop’.
Except, l have found, l am shouting, frantically in case it doesn’t stop in time!
I do like the facility, if you can’t find the remote, you press the red button on the front of the Q box and the remote squeaks from wherever it is!

Ray Yes, Sorry. I misunderstood.
He did set the up the second old Sky box for Freesat with the spare LNB. but you could still use Freeview by setting it to TV on the television’s remote control.
I have put its original digital aerial cable from the wall into the back of the television and done the same with the one in the bedroom but both still state, ‘No Signal’.

:044:

Artangel is your TV sorted yet , having read through your post my head is now completely jumbled and I’ve no idea how to even offer fix it advice.

Is the telly working yet ?

Oh, Susan, my head feels absolutely done in. I am sorry, your head is jumbled from just reading this saga!
I suppose, for me, it’s a good job as l am watching less television. It’s all too much hassle! :lol:

The main television works off the dish. If l could just get the other televisions working off the aerial on the roof, like they did before, it would be ok.