I paid £3,600 for this!

I haven’t seen anything like that since the 70s … those big old Victorian houses split into bedsits … Pipes on the outside of walls etc.

Carol, were you given the option of having a proper job done? This is unacceptable in the 21st C., but it might OK as a cheap option for a rogue landlord or someone.

What type of boiler did you have I know Baxi have approved installers maybe others do to so another route to take complain to the boiler company?

All Combi boilers have to be connected to mains water the installer would know this in his first quote so should not have charged the extra money.

My original pipes were underfloor. He connected to these and all would have been well but the pressure in the combi dropped & he traced the fault to a leak in my underfloor pipes. As they were under concrete he had no choice but to reroute the pipes which meant them ending up coming down the walls.

What else could/should he have done considering the leaking pipe was under concrete?

I don’t know Carol. It all looks very odd and extremely cowboyish to me.

Sorry Carol no matter what the reason this is amateurish work at best and downright incompetence at worst, there is no excuse for this standard of work and you really should not be making excuses for him.

… what I wanted to say but didn’t dare.

I have just happened across this thread and agree that the workmanship is terrible.
Assuming that is a puddle of solder on the carpet, and I do think it looks like it, that is a prime example of his cutting corners and taking absolutely no care in his work. He could just as easily have lifted that section of carpet before he did his soldering.

If I may, perhaps I could mention yet another route you could take to resolve this problem:
Resolver - Free online tool for complaints and claims | Resolver UK
I have used them a few times when dealing with difficult organisations and they are very helpful. They have a portfolio of many companies they have had dealings with, and I get the impression that they carry some weight.

Carol, I don’t know much about plumbing but that looks very untidy. I’m sorry. I feel your pain.

I’m always careful with hiring people as I feel most men might take advantage of me not having a man around (e.g. my recent kitchen remodel).

OMG I’m the last one to make excuses for him!!
I just meant was there an alternative to re piping and if so - what?

I know his work is shoddy beyond belief and there is going to be much trouble over it. :cry:

Thank you JBR. It’s worth a try…

I would have made the pipework invisible, but there would have been a problem, it would have cost twice as much, or, I would have gone bankrupt.

Even supposing he had no alternative to installing the pipework along that route and I seriously doubt that to be the case it is no excuse for the poor workmanship I have been in the building trade most of my working life and have never seen such poor work that did not go unchallenged.

Perhaps I picked you up wrong as to what alternative he could have chosen without seeing the whole job that is difficult to say.

thank god I live in oz!!

Ah yes - you don’t need central heating! :grinning:

Damn. Sorry to here that Carol.

Carol
did you get quotes from others and say British gas as well?What checks did you make before employing this person such as asking to see some of his previous work on site and talk to others that employed him. Did you ask first of all how he intended to run the pipes? what provision in the contract he gave you for remedial work or warranty ?

If you did none of these things I am not surprised you got ripped of by a “cowboy” plumber

wise words indeed realspeed wise words and lessons to be learned?

I found him on an internet website called ‘My Builder’ - quite a reputable site I thought. He had 100 percent good reviews.

I have used ‘My Builder’ many times & always been satisfied.

I had four estimates ( Not British gas) & I chose him because he seemed to know what he was talking about. Also his estimate was the cheapest & he had excellent reviews. He was an official Baxi installer & had passed all the City & Guild exams.

I thought that was enough precaution to take. Obviously I was wrong but with nobody to advise me or take care of household problems for me, I just did the best I could.

Yes I have a family but they aren’t really interested in my household problems. They think I am capable of handling it and they leave me to it.

Obviously I’m not. :cry: