I paid £3,600 for this!

My old back boiler broke down after 40 years & I employed a plumber to install a new combi boiler.
He hit a problem with reduced pressure in the new boiler - a result of going from gravity to pressure system. As a result I had to pay him and extra £995 to re-pipe my downstairs rooms.

This is the result. To say I am upset is an understatement.

Just everything seems to go wrong for me. I ask myself would this have happened if Tony had been in charge but the man had good reviews on ‘My Builder’ What more could I do (if anything) and what can I do now?

pipes.1
pipes.2

It was meant to say Home/DIY - not care homes.
I hate this tag thing!!

Thanks for changing the tag Butterscotch. :blush:

1 Like

Carol that is shocking. When we replaced our boiler some years ago, we wanted a combi boiler, but our plumber advised against it because he said there would be a difference in water pressure, and we could have all sorts of problems as a result, not least random leaks appearing in our existing pipe work. So we decided against it and got a traditional boiler instead.
Your plumber must have known the possible consequences and should have warned you. I wish I knew the answer, but short of boxing all the pipes in, I can’t think of one.

When my Back boiler was taken out and a combi put in , The floor boards were taken up in the upstairs rooms , and the pipes were laid under to the outside walls where the radiators were to be ,

The were situated under the windows , so the pipes came down the side of windows from upstairs ,
When the curtains were in place they covered the majority of pipe work ,
When painted they blended in .

We had two pipes leaks , because of Presure .These was above the ceiling so New Plaster Board went in , after the Damage ones was taken , out .

But this was only after a test was done on whether it was Asbestos in the ceiling …

This was in my previous House

The price you paid was right , same as what i paid two year ago in my presant home .

Workmanship is shocking.

Contact a solicitor, take lots of photos, contact “My Builder” and write to the plumber setting out your complaint in detail along with a copy of the photos. Might be worth checking out the local council trading standards office.

That’s a disgusting job. Kinks in the pipework, and what looks to be a puddle of solder on the carpet below the left-hand lock shield valve.

I’d be complaining to My Builder, with photographic evidence of a poor job. Do they vet tradespeople who advertise with them, or verify whether the reviews are genuine?

I really feel for you it’s so upsetting . Its happened to me and I’m sure its because I’m a single woman. I wouldnt know where to start but hope you get some help and advice

Was the old pipework in microbore as it is called suitable for only a boiler? If so then a combi boiler is not a good idea as the pressure is different and could blow apart the microbore In which case you should have been advised not to change to a combi.
We were thinking of oing to do exactly the same but advised not too which your plumber should have said
How many quotes did you get including British Gas?
al you could try is making a claim under the consumer rights act

link
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/section/49

But apart from bringing a court case and costing you to do so I don’t think you would win anyway

That looks like a real cowboy job

That’s a dreadful job, I have to say. I’d do what Todger says, solicitor, photos, etc.

First thing is to get in touch with MyBuilder with your photos etc and see what they say.

My Builder basically don’t want to know.

They sent me a template of a complaints procedure through Citizens advice.
I had expected/hoped they would mediate between us…

I have already been in touch with citizens advice by email but waiting for phone chat.

I did not know that I am going have a look into this.

You are correct what a shower of charlatans I have just read their so called dispute procedure.
Homeowner support photos of every bit of work maybe start at the boiler and work your way round the pipework.

Does the plumber know you are not happy with his work?

Oh yes - he knows.

He brought his dad to help him get it done in a day. I remarked to his dad as they were going ‘It’s so ugly’ he said ‘oh cover it up with some boxing.’ Sam the main plumber just scarpered as soon as he could.

If he doesn’t know - he soon will.

I have sent him a type written letter with pictures of his rubbish work along with remarks I C&P’s from a plumbers forum. I decided to make a post on a plumbers forum to see what other plumbers opinion was.

Almost without exception they all said it was rubbish etc…

Six pages of remarks I copied & printed out.

Hi Carol,

Thank you for your email. I just called you on 07****** but you were unavailable at the time. If you have concerns that any part of the work that Sam carried out for is unsafe, I’d recommend bringing this to the attention of Gas Safe:

Gas Safe - Complaints

Alternatively, if you aren’t happy with the quality of the work carried out, I’d recommend following the process set out by Citizens Advice: write to him formally, cite the Consumer Rights Act 2015, let him know the resolution you would be prepared to accept, and set a reasonable deadline. There’s more information on this process here, and their recommended letter template is below:

Poor quality of work - Letter template

The feedback you have posted for Sam’s work will alert anyone considering hiring KAS ENERGY PLUMBING AND HEATING to your experience. All negative or neutral feedback is also hand reviewed internally at MyBuilder, and accounts checked for any previous complaints or problems. Where there are consistent problems we will close trade accounts permanently. However, in general, we prefer that customer feedback - both positive and negative - is available to help people make a decision on who they want to hire.

Please let me know if you have any queries on the above.

​​​​​​​Kind regards,

Gavin
MyBuilder Customer Service

1 Like

The post above is the reply I received from ‘My Builder’
I had hoped they might offer to mediate…

I haven’t seen anything like that since the 70s … those big old Victorian houses split into bedsits … Pipes on the outside of walls etc.

Carol, were you given the option of having a proper job done? This is unacceptable in the 21st C., but it might OK as a cheap option for a rogue landlord or someone.

What type of boiler did you have I know Baxi have approved installers maybe others do to so another route to take complain to the boiler company?