I need a new CH boiler

Yes, we have a Gloworm ultracom 24 hxi fitted 12 yrs ago,no probs,he’s says hoping not to upset the boiler gremlin.

It’s like everything else mate, you can buy a brand new car and it might break down in the first week. As long as the boilers are serviced every year, then there (hopefully) shouldn’t be any problems.

Totally agree,I’m in the keep it serviced league.:wink:
Pays your money takes your choice.

Same here; A stitch in time is my motto…:wink:

Ditto.

At the end of last year, British Gas, who I have a service contract with, recommended a new boiler. Had a quote of £4, 500 approx. I then had a chat with my downstairs neighbour, who had a new boiler installed a few years previously by a local company for a whole lot less, and was very happy with it. Then of course the covid crisis kicked in,. So a no brainer, went with the local company , and in 3 weeks will have installed for about £1500 less than BG’s price, …Supply and install Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30i ERP combination condensing boiler
complete with vertical flue kit, lead roof slate, flue extensions, flue bends, flue support brackets,
shock arrestor and keyless filling link in airing cupboard.
So let’s hope it all goes to plan! ;-);-):wink:

Yes, it certainly pays to shop around.

Fairy nuff…
I would not I would do that though.

British Gas the country’s biggest corporate rob-dog rip-off merchants in my opinion.

This is what you get when companies are allowed to get too big for their boots Percy. They price small family run companies out of the market and create a monopoly and then turn the screws up. Some companies get so big they could hold a country to ransom if they wanted, and probably already have. They could certainly do some damage to a countries economy.

My local gas boiler installation company also sub-contracts work from British Gas.

I, finally, found the right plumber, to solve my problems of “Kettling” (banging noises near the boiler) and shutting down, due to over temperature.

He is a plumber with long experience with CH boilers.

He checked mine out and pointed out that the problem was, probably, due to the inability, of the system, to move the water through the boiler/pipes quick enough to prevent over heating.

He went on to say that three things were likely to make this problem appear.

1. Muck in the pipes.
  2. A faulty, tired, pump.
  3. The thermostat or potentiometer.

He then Drained down, put in Fernox cleaner, and tried that.
Came up with clean water, after a week, but problem not fixed.

Then replaced the Thermostat & Pot (bought on line)

Problem not fixed.

Then replaced the pump.

Problem FIXED.

He pointed out that my boiler was much older than I had said, but, a boiler is just a box of parts, all replaceable!

Great plumber & very able to describe every step.

Looks good - final test when winter comes.

How much did it cost?

Around 600 Pounds all included.

He sounds like a good bloke Ted, and thorough, hope it has solved your problems, and a lot cheaper than a new boiler…

Mrs Fox thought ‘Kettling’ was something rude like ‘Dogging’…I mean, really…:surprised:

Perhaps she only knows what you have taught, OGF?

:twisted:

Excellent and glad that you have got it sorted - sounds like you found a good engineer there. Sludge in a CH system contains Iron Oxide and is magnetic. This adheres to the inside of pumps and copper pipes. As copper is non-magnetic, you can try a little test. If you have a hot water cylinder, then place a magnet where the cold feed from the small tank in the loft, joins onto the pipe going into the cylinder (normally the lower one) If the magnet sticks on the pipe unaided, then you still have traces of sludge in your system. It might only be a small amount, but something to keep an eye on.

Thanks for that GM, I just took your advice and tried my long handled picking up magnet at all entries & exits in the airing cupboard.
Got very little, or no, attraction at all.

Useful tip, will try it around the family!

Yes excellent tip,tried mine this morning prior to the new valve this Friday, all seems ok.

Glad that it helped :slight_smile:

in my extensive experience of having boiler problems, a badly designed system can cause more problems than an old boiler. Redundant pipes or poorly thought through geography of pipework can cause so much grief.

Quite right Annie and in the past, I worked on boilers/systems that were over 30 years old and still chugging along. OK, so they are not as efficient as modern boilers, so what! I got er, told off, many times from BG for not trying to sell a new boiler.
When it had a service, if it met the legal? requirements, in my opinion, it was good for another year.