I love technology but

I hate any piece of technology where the instruction manual is larger than the device itself.

3 Likes

And written by someone who’s first language was not English, in this case Youtube is your friend when it comes to setting up stuff.

Cordless vacuums, why do they have a small dust collector which invariable needs a hammer to get off the stem to empty?

Washing machines, why so many settings, I use a short one and a long one the rest are meaningless?

3 Likes

haha

I get on well with the pdf version nowadays: search a word and you soon find what you need.

It takes a while to tame a new TV. It took about a week to decide on the best settings for a Samsung QLED TV. Like all new TVs, it has many modes and settings. In the end, I settled for turning off all so called ‘intelligent’ settings (auto contrast etc.) and knocking the colour back a bit. Everything was far too colourful by default.

1 Like

We’ve got a state-of-the-art Bosch: a “Quick Spin” takes more that half an hour. You’d think you’d ask it to dry and iron your shirts too.

3 Likes

Every time my windows laptop updates it sets the default search engine to yahoo. Really winds me up - I want Google as the default, and have to reset it every single time. I know it’s not that often, but I just find it intensely annoying, grrrr.

And oh yes I’m with you on the ridiculous number of washing machine programmes. Given that my machine allows me to adjust the temperature and spin speed on the cottons programme, there really is no need for any other programme! I can even hit the ‘quick’ button, reducing the time by a third, or even by two thirds if I press it twice.

1 Like

I hate getting any new tech, it takes me ages to set it up. I am one of those people who likes to read the instructions first from cover to cover. This is not easy because they are usually incomprehensible and written by someone for whom English is a third language :icon_rolleyes: .

When I was at the vets the other day the lovely little groomer was in tears, they have a new computer system which she has to learn to use because her clients are on there too.

A lot of the stuff on tech is superfluous ,I don’t use a number of function on my laptop and my washing machine has enough programmes to get me to the moon and back out of which I use 3 .

The built-in obsolescence.
:angry:
The technolgy might be okay to use and all very helpful and be capable of lasting for many years before components wear out, but what’s the point of that if it will be superceded by new software within months or a year?

Phones can last years, but there’s a new version of the software that runs the darned things ever year and the manufacturers tend not to update much beyond a year, maybe two if you’re lucky.
And as these older systems sometimes stop even the annoying regular security updates after just two years which can leave your phone more vulnerable to hacking and other things, you’re essentially left with a perfectly good working phone that is potentially dangerous to use.

TV’s can be pretty much the same with “smart” TV’s that the makers won’t upgrade which can leave you not only without some interactive services but without even catch-up TV or without some channels. That’s not great an an otherwise perfectly servicable TV of just a few years old and I know there can be workarounds, but it’s still wasteful.

And I won’t even mention computers or tablet devices.

Here we are in a world where we are supposed to care for our environment and yet manufacturers are forcing consumerism upon us by making their products essentially obsolete way before their time.

Maybe I’m weird :crazy_face: but I enjoy new technology.
Give me a new TV to play with and I’m as happy as a :pig2: in :poop:

2 Likes

I had to buy a new Washing Machine and stuck with the same make LG. mine of course is in French time but that is not the real issue…spin 20 mins…other washes 3 week…prewash plus 3 years…much too long…
Found a wash 36 minutes long but the spin only so far found at 800 speed…so go on for a extra rinse and spin that makes another 20 mintues of use…there is no spin on it’s own either…
It is quieter though than the previous LG

1 Like

I am good with techno because I will read and try, and read again going back and forth the pages, until I understand.

Husbands knows this ,so he just walks away…I have tested him and he still will not try when I refuse to…
I hate not being able to work things…I am the person who sets up the intelligent night heaters during the cold seather…work of an idiot those heaters at times, they do at sometimes rule me…
Fix the Shark when it gets bunged up with Cat fur…literally have to dismantle lots of parts to do this successfully.

Made my bed often, so I do lie on it… :innocent:

1 Like

I am totally 100% with you there. When I shell out loads of dosh on something, I want it to last at least 2 or 3x the length of the manufacturer’s warranty.

Updates!
Seems there is constant revision of software or whatever and you are always having to agree to this and that, having changes forced upon you and your device. Much of which seems to make little or no sense.
Does my silly blonde head in at times.

I love power electronics. The bigger, the better!

1 Like

I understand! Not long ago I had to buy a new TV and got a LG big screen but it took me over 2 hours to just get most of it set up and I still have stuff it tells me I should set up on it!?! I dont know but it has a long list of stuff it can do. I want a simple tv but there are not any anymore.

I love certain ‘power tools’ too…but not too big :grimacing::joy:

1 Like

On the other hand, older TVs maybe didn’t have the picture quality of newer ones. True that modern TVs have all those controls but get them right and the pictures they produce are very good in my opinion.

It’s a bit difficult to show the picture quality in a still photo but this is it on my new Samsung QLED screen. It’s a 4K TV upscaling an HD transmission. Considering the picture is upscaled, I think it’s pretty good.

tv

1 Like

Yes, that’s good. I was having a little tease on the technology topic. Power electronics was my field. A little bit of perspective if I may.
An electric kettle is typically 3kW at 230V. The biggest power single item in the house, power tools included. The power electronics we were did were 10,000kW at 11,000V.
Scale.

1 Like

Think I’ll stick to battery powered😁
Even the kettle can be too exciting sometimes lol

Quite right. Even 230V can be lethal!

1 Like