I love technology but

Why does some of it need to be so bloody complex for us mere mortals.
My expensive LG B7 OLED TV decided in did not want to play with the Humax PVR and after about an hour trying ti resolve this I decided to reset the TV and set it up again.
This is where the fun begins as there are so many picture settings on a modern TV these days trying to get the TV to display the screen you are happy with is such a pain.

What tech gets up your nose?

1 Like

The delayed remote gets up my nose, you press it once and you think nothings happened so, you press it again, then you effectively get two rapid presses and you end up where you were. :grinning: :biking_man:

1 Like

I love technology to but dont really understand it.

When I needed a new TV a friend came with me , while she was talking to the sales person it was like listening to another language . The original digital box i had in great working condition wasnt compatible with my new smart TV and as I dont have a TV aerial anymore I also had to buy a humax box to get my programmes . Friend set it up as best she could but in the end I had to get a TV man in to get it working correctly it cost me hundreds of ÂŁ s .

The same with a new mobile phone I never want another new one it takes weeks to get to know it

Lets not forget Windows 10, just installed that on a new PC and the removed 37 pieces of bloatware that Microsoft has decided I really couldn’t live without. But at least you can remove it with phones is is almost impossible and occupies space you could use for apps you actually want.

I don’t like it.If it doesn’t run on coal I’m lost.Fortunately there’s someone in the house who is good at it.

My mantra is that if all else fails, then just hand the problem over to the nearest five year old who will then sort it out for you

4 Likes

New technology is great, its so small and compact, a luddite don’t need to cart a sledgehammer around no more. :grinning: :biking_man: :walking_man:

1 Like

You say that but at my last firm I was the oldest employee by some degree but it me the youngsters came to to sort their tech problems and I was self taught.

1 Like

That’s coz youngsters just can’t be arsed, they just try it on wiv us oldies. :grinning: :biking_man:

set top boxes bigger than the set tops :neutral_face:

Just discovered after the TV went off without any input from me that it has a hidden eco timer of 4 hours I spotted the one that will turn the TV off after 2 hours if there is no input during that time but not the other one. Was not obvious where it was either so it is a question of going thrugh the myriad of setting hopefully recognising the one you want.

Technology doesn’t love me

I hate any piece of technology where the instruction manual is larger than the device itself.

3 Likes

And written by someone who’s first language was not English, in this case Youtube is your friend when it comes to setting up stuff.

Cordless vacuums, why do they have a small dust collector which invariable needs a hammer to get off the stem to empty?

Washing machines, why so many settings, I use a short one and a long one the rest are meaningless?

3 Likes

haha

I get on well with the pdf version nowadays: search a word and you soon find what you need.

It takes a while to tame a new TV. It took about a week to decide on the best settings for a Samsung QLED TV. Like all new TVs, it has many modes and settings. In the end, I settled for turning off all so called ‘intelligent’ settings (auto contrast etc.) and knocking the colour back a bit. Everything was far too colourful by default.

1 Like

We’ve got a state-of-the-art Bosch: a “Quick Spin” takes more that half an hour. You’d think you’d ask it to dry and iron your shirts too.

3 Likes

Every time my windows laptop updates it sets the default search engine to yahoo. Really winds me up - I want Google as the default, and have to reset it every single time. I know it’s not that often, but I just find it intensely annoying, grrrr.

And oh yes I’m with you on the ridiculous number of washing machine programmes. Given that my machine allows me to adjust the temperature and spin speed on the cottons programme, there really is no need for any other programme! I can even hit the ‘quick’ button, reducing the time by a third, or even by two thirds if I press it twice.

1 Like

I hate getting any new tech, it takes me ages to set it up. I am one of those people who likes to read the instructions first from cover to cover. This is not easy because they are usually incomprehensible and written by someone for whom English is a third language :icon_rolleyes: .

When I was at the vets the other day the lovely little groomer was in tears, they have a new computer system which she has to learn to use because her clients are on there too.

A lot of the stuff on tech is superfluous ,I don’t use a number of function on my laptop and my washing machine has enough programmes to get me to the moon and back out of which I use 3 .

The built-in obsolescence.
:angry:
The technolgy might be okay to use and all very helpful and be capable of lasting for many years before components wear out, but what’s the point of that if it will be superceded by new software within months or a year?

Phones can last years, but there’s a new version of the software that runs the darned things ever year and the manufacturers tend not to update much beyond a year, maybe two if you’re lucky.
And as these older systems sometimes stop even the annoying regular security updates after just two years which can leave your phone more vulnerable to hacking and other things, you’re essentially left with a perfectly good working phone that is potentially dangerous to use.

TV’s can be pretty much the same with “smart” TV’s that the makers won’t upgrade which can leave you not only without some interactive services but without even catch-up TV or without some channels. That’s not great an an otherwise perfectly servicable TV of just a few years old and I know there can be workarounds, but it’s still wasteful.

And I won’t even mention computers or tablet devices.

Here we are in a world where we are supposed to care for our environment and yet manufacturers are forcing consumerism upon us by making their products essentially obsolete way before their time.