I Like Mysteries, Myths, and Legends

What exactly is Deja Vu?
Sure, we can say it is a French word meaning, “Already Seen”.
That feeling of having experienced a specific set of circumstances before.
Most of us have experienced it at one point or another.
70 out of 100 people say they have had an experience of the feeling of Deja Vu.
Scientists are unable to come up with a plausible explanation.
Theories have been bandied about, an increase in Dopamine may lead to Deja Vu, perceptions.
I had a very acute experience of Perceived Deja Vu when in 1990 I moved from Tasmania to Western Australia, a distance of 2,500 miles.
One day I visited Kalgoorlie, a mining town, 370 miles east of Perth.
I went there with a friend who had grown up in Western Australia, we visited his Elderly Grandparents who were born and bred there.
They lived in a 100 + year old house all their married life.
As I entered this house a feeling of trepidation came over me. We sat down for coffee and homemade scones and in the course of conversation I mentioned my feeling upon entering the house to the Grandmother.
Her reaction was to look at me askance so I never pursued the topic.
I went to use the toilet and on my way back I passed a room of which the walls were lined with books.
I entered the room and was overcome with such a powerful sense of Deja Vu that I had a bout of vertigo and had to sit down on the floor.
In fact, I fell asleep leaning against the wall and was woken by a slightly miffed Grandmother.
The feeling I had was that I had definitely been in that room before.
Which was impossible because it was my first visit to Kalgoorlie having lived my whole life up to that point in Tasmania.
The rest of my time in that house (2 days, we slept in a caravan) was uneventful, though I stayed away from that room out of respect for the owners.
Who has had a similar experience/s?

I have had the odd experience of déjà vu but nowhere as intense as yours was, Bretrick. Mine usually occur when I have said/done something and suddenly know I have said/done the exact same thing in another timeline. It’s like a light bulb going on momentarily and bringing the two timelines together. Weird but doesn’t last long. You have some very interesting experiences and I look forward to reading about more of them should you choose to share them.

1 Like

I have experienced the feeling of “Deja vu” quite a few times - a couple of them have been so strong that I can remember them clearly decades later.

When I started studying an OU Course of “Biology, Brain and Behaviour”, I learned that those “Deja vu” feelings may be a glitch in the human brain.
To put it simply, a new experience may seem like a memory because of mis-communication between different parts of your brain.

1 Like

I’m guessing you weren’t invited back.
I think we’ve all experienced it but it’s never made me sleep(ahem…drunk or sober)

1 Like

Never invited back. The Grandmother was upset with my experience.

1 Like

First time we visited St. Ives, we parked up and went for a wander around the town, suddenly realised we were lost and had no idea where we had parked the car. I looked around, said I knew the way and guided us back to the car, via a totally different route. I usually have a terrible sense of direction but I just knew the way - it was as if I had been there before!

1 Like