I let my girlfriend live rent-free with me if she bought Lottery tickets – then we won and she ran off with the cash

• Poor man…! Money is indeed the root of all evil…

He’s a complete idiot for not getting her to sign an agreed contract, either as a tenancy agreement or the lottery’s syndicate one.

If she had split it without the syndicate provision in place, he’d have had to pay around 40% to HMRC anyway as income.

3 Likes

Ain’t love grand! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Shes a nasty piece Shite and is well rid of her … He will learn by his mistake hopefully and not be taken in again .

1 Like

We’ve only got his word for things. As it stands, without anything in writing, she could sue him for defamation (plus she could afford the legal fees) although ironically he’s got no obvious known assets.

1 Like

I expect her story will come out in due course…

2 Likes

It doesn’t say how long she lived with him rent-free but they stayed together for 15 months after she won the cash, so she didn’t just dump him as soon as she won the cash.
It sounds more like she was planning a life with him until their relationship started to go wrong.
If she paid him £1,000 a month after she won the cash until they split up, at least he got £15,000 out of it, which maybe goes some way to recompensing him for the time he gave her free board and lodge.

If she took lots of stuff they owned between them when she moved out, I think that was mean of her - she could have left him with all their joint material possessions if she now has an income of £10k per month.

Folk often make these casual promises between friends or partners of
“if I win the Lottery, we’ll share it” but they don’t often think about how it would work in practice, with taxation etc
Unless I was part of a properly drawn up syndicate agreement, I would take any promise of splitting Lottery winnings with a pinch of salt.

2 Likes

My immediate reaction was, ‘God what an idiot, not to have had the agreement made formal with a syndicate’. I sympathise up to a point, but seriously, in this day and age when people treat even marriage as a casual, probably temporary arrangement, how could anyone be so naive and trusting?

1 Like

Nobody is going to treat a comment “Oh if I win the lottery we will share it” with any seriousness. Thats why he probably made the ticket purchase agreement in the first place because it sounded fun? :woman_shrugging: Anyone who plays the lottery doesn’t expect to win.

Well I hope she speaks kindly of him

1 Like

Was just about to post this. Sounds a little silly to expect a split in the money.

He seemed pretty clear that he let her stay at his place because they were a couple. If he didn’t ask for rent, then he also didn’t make the agreement that he would split a prize with her. I think that story changed after the money was won.

2 Likes

I agree … she was sharp and he was dumb … :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

. . . and lucky. . .

1 Like

Well I wouldn’t say she was sharp…just greedy. if she had any care for him at all, she would have split it 50/50 and then left him. He wasn’t just some random on the street…they were in a relationship. She is just a nasty piece of work. :frowning_face:

A few episodes of Judge Rinder or Judy Judge would clarify matters somewhat when it comes to the need to have written contracts.

Without a full picture, it seems a bit premature to judge so harshly

Well, if she leaves 50% of her fortune to every relationship she has, she’ll be struggling. Just ask any of the celebs who got married multiple times. :rofl:

2 Likes

What? They live together and have an agreement that she buys lottery tickets and they plan their life around that?

Then she scoots off with all the winnings.

Yeah, nothing to judge here…everything is tickety boo :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Where is this agreement? Her claim is that she was paying him rent. We’ve only got his word about there being an alternative arrangement.

If they’d have set up a joint bank account and the £10k per month was being paid into that, then it might add weight to his claim.

1 Like

Would it be the same if they were living together and she signed a contract for an ad that she performed or modeled in that would pay her that same amount of money over the same amount of time?

I think the lottery is paid out over many years. It doesn’t sound like it was paid out in one lump sum (or she’d get less). That would lock them together for years.

1 Like

The lottery win in this instance pay a £10k per month for 30 years (according to the article). This would be different if it was a lump sum win.

1 Like