I know most of you here love words

To walk in an ungainly fashion?
Lollop

What about the number Lovers?

1 Like

Well, this being my post and having struggled with maths in my early years I have gravitated towards words. :smiley:
I am only good at simple addition, having played darts for many years.
So, words it is. :grinning:

2 Likes

Thank you for being so polite in your response, and outlining your reasoning, pity there aren’t more folks like you about :icon_wink:

2 Likes

:wave: Politeness is a trait of mine that I cherish. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I love my traits, they have been around for so many years, never Dis your traits.

1 Like

Gruntled,no one ever says that,it’s always ,disgruntled which I think means completely gruntled.

1 Like

Likewise. Our our lovely postie is similar.

1 Like

“Lollop” is a word which was often used in our house. I actually thought it was a word my family invented years ago.

“Lolloping great lump” doesn’t sound very kind now but I heard it used to describe a big, rough lad who spent most of his life sprawled on his mother’s sofa while she ran around seeing to his every need.

2 Likes

The lad next door was a Lollop and married a Trollop :grin:

1 Like

I was always enthralled in the Latin lessons and the way the Latin Mistress (yep, I did type Mistress) would beckon a boy. “Come hither lad and grace my presence”. She was the epitome of olde world politeness as was her fascinating and extensive vocabulary :grin:

3 Likes

We had some great teachers at grammar school who used words that we had never heard of, most of us coming from tiny rural primary schools.
We had French, Spanish and Latin teachers who would pass us in the corridor or outside and use those languages which we thought was wonderful.

We had a teacher who had literally just arrived from India and his Maths knowledge was great but his English was weak. He used to call a mirror a “reflecteur” and had other crazy sayings.

Superfluous, incongruous, facsimile, erroneous, latent, were all words I first heard aged 12. Our English teacher was brilliant and encouraged us all to write down any words in a notebook that we heard or saw and look them up in a dictionary when we got chance and I still occasionally do that to this day.

2 Likes

If I hear or see a word I do not know the meaning of, I will find out. Called learning, which is a life long exercise. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like