I Had Never Heard Of NC 500

I’d love to cycle the route over say 14 days staying at guest houses, hotels or B&B’s.
I doubt whether it will happen, I don’t even know if I’m still capable… :102: But if anyone fancies having a go, I’ll give it a damn good try…:cool:

Aye, Your not wrong there.:wink:

I think you’d find it a bit of a challenge Foxy. But then your fit so maybe not. :lol: This is just a wee bit of it…

Yes, a couple of selfish morons features on that film.
Plenty of passing places, but no, I think I’ll just stop here in the middle of the road and enjoy the view - with a layby right next to me!

The worst I’ve come across was big Camper Van parked up in a Passing Place and two couples had set up a folding table n chairs and were having a meal.

Totally irresponsible imo. :cry:

I think there is no better way to see nature than getting up close and personal Roxy. Vehicles are all right to get from ‘A’ to ‘B’ but to really savour the scenery you need to be running, walking, or cycling.

It certainly would be a challenge for me now but it comes out about 36 miles a day, and I would consider that doable in my present state of decomposition…:smiley: There are some decent climbs, but I’ve rode through the Lake District and the dales in the past, so I might be a bit slower, but at least I know what’s coming.

Someone driving backup would be essential, as would a stay in a good hotel at the end of the day, providing a good hot shower and more importantly some good food. A ride like that would demand at least 500 calories per day…

Roxy, Thank You so much for that very informative post and video clip too. I didn’t realise you lived so far up in Scotland.
The clip you posted showed how very beautiful and natural that area is. I bet the air is lovely and healthy too!

I can imagine you would get some very ignorant visitors who have no regard for anything or anyone else but l suppose they can’t change a habit of a lifetime!

Foxy, Are you really considering doing this as a cycling holiday?
Well, l have to say, l really admire you but make sure you keep those leggies warm!

Thanks for this, Roxy. It shows the other side of things to ensure we have a true idea of what it’s like.
We drive slowly and safely, and certainly don’t park stupidly blocking access for others.
I’ve shown it to Marge. We still intend to visit the Highlands and probably some of the north coastal areas, but I’d prefer not to drive all the way round that route; instead, just pick out some interesting individual places.

JBR, Have you ever considered touring up there on a tandem bicycle?
Run it past Marge and see what she thinks. l am sure she would love it! :lol:

Good idea, Angel.
Marge could sit on the front and pedal whilst I’d sit at the back and not worry too much about pedalling.

The scenery is just too good to fly by in a motor Arty…Even if it means doing it in bite size chunks on the bike in more than one visit.

I thought you were talking about Wayne Gardner’s motorbike

About thirty years ago we spent two weeks touring Scotland (clockwise) and did this route, albeit wasn’t know as the 500 then. Last year(2019) we were going on holiday to the Orkney Isles so decided to do it again stopping twice overnight going up and then when we returned to the mainland stopped twice coming down, a wonderfull experience, would be nice in an open top sports car, i have the T shirt

Did you notice any difference in the amount of traffic Macywack? Pictures of the T shirt please…:smiley:

Foxey 30 years ago we hardly saw anything else, but 2019 was very busy will all kinds of motor vehicles

am gonna try a piccie

Foxey 30 years ago we hardly saw anything else, but 2019 was very busy will all kinds of motor vehicles

am gonna try a piccie

failed, i managed to find and upload the piccies but cant find how to get them into reply, be back soon oh it worked anyways

Bloody 'ell, I thought that you’d have washed and ironed it first. :smiley:

Piccies worked fine macywack, thanks…:wink:
It might get less busy in the future when everyone buys an electric vehicle. I don’t think they will be able to go that far on a charge…At least I hope not…:smiley: