I grew up knowing the Avoirdupois system

Thing is, I’m so used to pounds and ounces that I can guess pretty accurately how much something weighs just by lifting it up and I can tell 4 oz of butter, sugar, flour etc just by looking at it

Wouldn’t have any idea in kilos :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

It weighs exactly the same, just the numbers are different.

It is so simple it is ridiculous, four ounces is about 120gms or close enough for cooking.

2 Likes

Yeah, it weighs the same, but when I pick it up or look at it, I wouldn’t know what to call that weight in kilos or gms

And I really can’t be bothered to learn how to convert it and think in gms now.

Cooking is pounds, ounces and pints for me, it’s an emotional tie as well as a mathematical one! :rofl:

For recipes I just use a gms to ounces online converter!

1 Like

That must have given you a brighter view when it was switched on :wink:

Peter Cleall as Eric Duffy in Please Sir👍

I saw the light at an early age.

1 Like

I can work in both mainly, although I still like my weight in stones and pounds because then, I know where I am. They say sugar is bad for you, but by comparing things to a one kilo bag of of sugar makes life easier when assessing what a kilo feels like, so sugar is not so bad after all.
I generally use ounces to measure out my lawn feed or porridge and am careful not to mix the two up…
But I wouldn’t be so smug as to chastise someone for sticking to the old methods. If it ain’t broke an all that…
:nerd_face:

2 Likes

Apparently it it was used from the 13th century. Older than even me…
Slightly more seriously I used it up about aged 20. After that it was replaced by SI - my field is electrical engineering. but I know a lot of people still prefer the Imperial units.

1 Like

Nor me

Were you poised at any particular angle?

Thanks. Couldn’t remember which version.

1 Like

And then there are pints, Imperial pints. My wife and I went to the local. I got a pint glass, my wife got a 0.250 litre of wine.

Ok, so a bag of sugar used to be 2lb but now it’s a kilogram which is a bit more than 2lb so your dog is probably about 8 bags of sugar or 17 and 1/2 lbs!

Stick with the Maree measurement system …. it never fails!

2 Likes

I find the sugar comparison an excellent weight loss incentive

A bag of sugar used to be 2lbs so if I’m 8lbs overweight that’s like having 4 bags of sugar stuck around my midriff!

A bag of sugar if a kilogram now, which is about 2lbs and 1/5 of a lb in real measurement and that how I picture it!

1 Like

It is 17.64 lb but why would you want/need that? We have have a wee dog too and when we visit the vet they always use kg for her weight. Same with my weight for the Doctor.

at the ready, like an Olympian.

Just wondered ….
Didn’t need to know

Fairy 'nuff. Our new dog is about 16 kg. My previous was about 37 kg.

‘Blocks’ d00d?
:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Bretrick

Ripple

13h

17.637 pounds

HUH ? now we have the “MUTANT SYSTEM”? :wink:

Shouldn’t that be pounds and OUNCES rather than a ?? Dayseemal pound ?? :innocent: :laughing:

1 Like