I grew up knowing the Avoirdupois system

Me too, When the vet put Dageus on the scales and said “that’s fine he’s 35 kilos” I remember asking her what that was in proper weight :smirk: She had no idea and was all embarrassed. I had to Google up a table to find out when I got back in the car. :joy:

1 Like

My dog weighs 8 kg not sure what that is in the avoirdupois system? :thinking:

2 Likes

Not only grew up with it, I still think in imperial and then swiftly convert back to metric to compare. I visit a market where the fruit & veg purveyor still serves in pounds if you ask for 5lbs of King Edwards spuds :+1:

1 Like

I grew up with an anglepoise

2 Likes

Isn’t that to do with ballet?

2 Likes

17.637 pounds

1 Like

Whoda thought we be discussing the avoirdupois system.
Never know what topic Bretrick will delve into next. :grinning:

Proper weight. Good one that. :grinning:
2.2 pounds per kilo.

1 Like

Anyone remember the mouthy youth in either Please Sir, or To Sir, With Love, shouting out ‘avoir-do what?’

1 Like

Not me. :pleading_face:

Thing is, I’m so used to pounds and ounces that I can guess pretty accurately how much something weighs just by lifting it up and I can tell 4 oz of butter, sugar, flour etc just by looking at it

Wouldn’t have any idea in kilos :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

It weighs exactly the same, just the numbers are different.

It is so simple it is ridiculous, four ounces is about 120gms or close enough for cooking.

2 Likes

Yeah, it weighs the same, but when I pick it up or look at it, I wouldn’t know what to call that weight in kilos or gms

And I really can’t be bothered to learn how to convert it and think in gms now.

Cooking is pounds, ounces and pints for me, it’s an emotional tie as well as a mathematical one! :rofl:

For recipes I just use a gms to ounces online converter!

1 Like

That must have given you a brighter view when it was switched on :wink:

Peter Cleall as Eric Duffy in Please Sir👍

I saw the light at an early age.

1 Like

I can work in both mainly, although I still like my weight in stones and pounds because then, I know where I am. They say sugar is bad for you, but by comparing things to a one kilo bag of of sugar makes life easier when assessing what a kilo feels like, so sugar is not so bad after all.
I generally use ounces to measure out my lawn feed or porridge and am careful not to mix the two up…
But I wouldn’t be so smug as to chastise someone for sticking to the old methods. If it ain’t broke an all that…
:nerd_face:

2 Likes

Apparently it it was used from the 13th century. Older than even me…
Slightly more seriously I used it up about aged 20. After that it was replaced by SI - my field is electrical engineering. but I know a lot of people still prefer the Imperial units.

1 Like

Nor me

Were you poised at any particular angle?

Thanks. Couldn’t remember which version.

1 Like