I downloaded a bird identification app

One reason I rarely download stuff is because it leaves one open to viruses and the like.
Someone suggested to me the App - Merlin -was excellent for bird identification.
So against my better judgement I downloaded it.
Within minutes my laptop went bung.
The Google search engine was removed, replaced by Yahoo. So much was not working.
I tried removing Yahoo and restoring Google. No luck.
I rang Geeks to you. They came and fixed my laptop for a fee of $200.
I don’t mind paying as long as the problem is fixed.
I will not be downloading any apps in the near future

2 Likes

I am not familiar with the app, I have bird book, but it could be your misery was self inflicted.

When you download a free program they often make a bit of cash by including another app(s) with it. As you install it, it probably asks if you want to install the other apps but by default they are ticked as “Yes”.

Most people just go click to every section of the install procedure with out reading each page and all these addons are also installed. It pays to read every page.

There is an app that automatically unticks all boxes but it is easier just to read in the first place.

That’s my theory anyway.

It is a pity to deprive yourself of good programs because of this, just read each page during the install procedure or only get open source stuff from places like Github

2 Likes

So many scams flying around at the moment. I received a text this morning from somebody who had allegedly just arrived from “The States” and he/she could not put any money on their phone so would I oblige. Obviously I did NOT! and deleted the text instantly.

1 Like

My BH is a member here.You don’t have to download just sign up.

2 Likes

For a moment there I thought it read as ‘Naturist Australia’ and started googling ‘Naturist UK’
Sorry Mr Smith, it seems my eyes are as bad as my ears…
:flushed:

2 Likes

I never needed a Bird identification App, back then, one could spot them a mile off, life was simple then :smiley:

1 Like

I’m not so sure about that Spitty, Ray Davies got a surprise when he took Lola home…
:astonished: