I don't want a smart meter

Got documentation to support that?

OMG its up to ÂŁ2.97 at 7.08

There was an item on the radio not long ago saying that new cheaper tariffs are being introduced by suppliers for those with smart meters only, if you don’t have one you will pay a higher cost

I received a message from my current supplier to advise that it was time to consider changing my tariff. On going on to a comparison website it was interesting to note that the first five top suppliers who could offer me a cheaper deal had, in their small print, indicated that the rate they were offering depended upon me accepting a smart meter within three months of signing up with them.

I wonder how many people fail to pick up on this?

Better get the candles ready. :-p

I had one put in recently. I pay a flat $98 per month for all electricity and have been for ages. Not sure how much difference it’s going to make yet. Power costs are high here anyhow.

We’ve had smart meters for about 10 years, both for the two years here and before that in our previous home. We are offered two different plans one of which has peak rates, shoulder rates and off peak rates or a flat rate which averages out. The best option depends on your activity, whether you are working or home all day, can you do washing, drying, bathing in off peak? It also gives the opportunity to switch suppliers if a better offer comes up.
We have had lower bills since we had smart meters.

Nowt to do with BB in my case, I just don’t like being fed cobblers as a reason for having one.:lol:

Life is but a Bush tucker trial. :-p

That’s what I feel too, Spitty. :023:

If you have solar on your roof a smart meter is absolutely essential. If you don’t have one you are giving your surplus power away for free to the electricity company.

The only real price danger with smart meters is if the companies start charging for apparent power rather than real power. (ie V x I instead of V x ICosØ - I think that is right)

There is no evidence world wide that smart meters lead to higher electricity bills, the evidence is that power bills remain the same or marginally less.

What smart meter do do is provide an incentive to use power at off peak times which means that less generation capacity is needed - a lot of that capacity sits idle for most of the day.

They are the thin end of the wedge.

Hi

I want smart meters but cannot get them.

To record the ‘wattless’ current a trivector meter will be required and a smart meter is not one of those. With modern IC controlled domestic appliances and lighting, the power factor will be so close to unity it wont be worth the power suppliers going to all the expense of trivectoring each domestic consumer.

Why would you want to?
You get charged for kWh, not kVAh.

You can have the appointment to have them installed that we’ve just refused to accept.:lol:

I don’t, because I am on a single phase domestic supply.

As are the majority of UK residences.
But that doesn’t mean you can’t have loads that are not unity power factor or don’t have significant harmonic content.

Nonsense! Smart meters can measure reactive power and could be programmed to charge for it.

Smart meters can tell you how much reactive power (kVArh) is generated from your energy supply. They display the difference between working power and total power consumed. Reactive power is in effect wasted power, but is often still billable. By using smart meters, customers can see the amount of reactive power that is being wasted but it’s up to the customer to do something about it.

https://www.reo.co.uk/being_smart_about_smart_meters

Electricity companies could argue that they have to provide the wiring to handle the higher currents. Whether companies will or not is up to them or legislation.

Regardless of what the electricity company says, there is no legal requirement to have a smart meter installed.

This link is the official guidance on smart meters by Ofgem Getting a smart meter

and if you click on the button that says ‘Show’ on the question ‘Are smart meters mandatory?’, you will see the response is ‘No’.

I get the impression those of us who don’t want a smart meter will be ‘frozen out’ :twisted:

I have been with OVO energy for many years and have always sent in my meter readings on time on the last day of the month and made sure there was plenty of credit in my account going into the winter .
The website has changed and when I tried to submit my meter readings for June (2 of them because I have economy 7) I was unable to do so because there was only one ‘box’ to enter the numbers and a note saying I had already submitted the number for this month :confused:
When I looked again yesterday an estimated bill had been generated for a third more electricity than I normally use :twisted:

A smart meter would be no good here anyway in an area with a poor mobile signal (my phone is 2G)

Smart meters communicate with energy suppliers using mobile technology (network coverage) and a weak signal can prevent a meter sending reads. If you live in certain rural areas or those notorious for having bad mobile phone signals, the chances are that a smart meter may struggle to work in your house.

So I requested a refund to lower my credit balance, changed my Direct Debit to half and switched supplier to Octopus who have good reviews on WHICH.
The final insult was a ‘sorry you are leaving’ email from OVO telling me how to take a final reading from my smart meter :twisted:

OVO used to be a great company but took over other Electricity Providers and became ‘too big for their boots’ with little thought for loyal customers.