I can eat practically anything and never turn my nose up at any food - how about you?

Wishful thinking? :lol:

The only question would be where to start …

http://www.shropshirestar.com/wpmvc/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/25206463.jpg

Oh Malcolm how could you not like Cavier??? - Its delicious on toast 'soldiers first thing in the morning washed down with a glass of Russian sparkling wine - there’s is far superior to the French Champagne - its a lot stronger. Then after that a shot glass of very cold Vodka!!!

Not that many foods I turn my nose up at (except salad - rabbit food - ergghh yuk!!) Haven’t had octopus, but have eaten squid. I do like safari meats - Buffalo, Eland, Kangaroo, Kudu, Ostrich, Water Buffalo, Wildebeeste, and Zebra.

Quite right Nom.
I must write a hundred lines on my appalling behaviour and see if that works.

http://yoursmiles.org/msmile/fun/m0136.gif

I’d love to try caviar. Okra and starfruit make me sick.

I can eat most foods but tripe?-it`s Ok sliced thinly and fried with sage,but boiled nappies??.Caviar is fantastic- a very rare treat. And as for truffle-it costs a small fortune,it does not taste that special-but the aroma as it is shaved over a quite simple meal in Italy…I really must go away again one day.

I’ve always been put off by anything that is sold by seaside promenade huts; things such as cockles, mussels, oysters, all that squidgy stuff. I imagine it sliding down my throat…yeeuchy!
Same with lobster, crab, anything like that.

But I love fish of most types (without the eyes in), and one I still haven’t tried yet is sea bass. Next on my list when I go on my hols I think.

Truffles are vile, like eating smelly feet (not that I’ve done that much).

As for the lobster pic, I know it’s tasty but I’d feel ill tearing apart something with visible legs, same as fish with heads on.

I will try almost anything once.

Loath sprouts, kidneys and anything remotely french.

Love most fish, crisp green salads and fruit.

Well, a silver tabby which didn’t like fish would probably be pretty rare.

Caviar is just expensive salt on toast. I wouldn’t bother.

TWINK ! seriously, are you telling me you would not eat good old Bubble and Squeak every day if you could!.

My absolute favourite, and I dont wait to use up leftover vegetables from the Sunday roast either. He who must obey, being a Londoner and brought up on it, absolutely loves B&S with any midweek dinner such as sausages or steak pie or even fish. We have B&S a minimum twice a week. Once formed, they can be placed into a ziplock bag and frozen, so very handy and taste so much nicer than the shop bought things.

You will need

1 large frying pan
Olive Oil or any bloomin oil
a generous knob of butter
Plain flour (keep the box of it handy, you will need it)
4/5 largish old potatoes cut into quarter pieces
2 large carrots sliced thinly
1 large or 2 medium onions sliced thinly
1/2 cabbage sliced thinly or shredded

keeping the onions apart to cook on their own…

Steam or boil the potatoes and carrots for 20/25 minutes until soft. (The potatoes have to be the main veg to ensure it binds everything together)
Once they have been steaming or boiling for 10 minutes, add the sliced/shredded cabbage and cook for a further 10/15 minutes. it doesn’t matter too much if cabbage is slightly overcooked.

Whilst the veg is cooking add a couple of glugs of oil to your frying pan and fry your onions on a moderate heat for about 5/7 minutes until translucent and soft. Put aside on a plate for the time being.

Strain the veg if you have boiled them and either mash them with a masher or use a hand held electric mixer as I did.
At this stage I added plenty of black pepper and sea salt but it’s up to you. I then added the cooked onions and mixed well.

Take your mashed veggie over to a clean surface and putting flour out onto the surface (be generous) and also on your hands. Take a large piece of the mash and shape it into a thick pattie. Now put it back onto the floured surface and generously coat it with the flour all over both sides. don’t worry about the edges, they get flour on them as you are shaping them.
I know it seems a lot of flour and you are probably thinking it is going to taste too floury but I promise it won’t!

You should be able to make three very large patties or 4/5 smaller ones. We, loving them, make three large ones and have one and a half each. hee hee

Put the frying pan back on to heat up, add a little more oil if it is needed plus the big knob of butter. Once heated place the patties into the pan and cook for 10 minutes each side on a moderate heat or a heat where you can see them sizzling nicely.
On no account turn them over during their 10 minute each side cooking time or you will not get the crispy outside whilst the inside gets lovely and hot. This is very important.

Enjoy !!:lol:

Thanks for that Shroppy, but i have to admit I already eat that once a week…it is delicious but I am afraid I have got into the habit of having a couple of rashers of bacon with it.:blush:…so no longer veggie!

Twink, really nice with a poached egg on top for a meal, :lol:

Improvement on a recipe??? - once the patties are formed, and before placing in the hot pan, break two eggs in a bowl and whisk around, place patties in pan and pour the eggs over the veg patties. Yes Twink you can add the bacon too.:wink:

laugh, so do I Twink I usually cook the bacon until really crispy and then crush it into the B&S but I didn’t mention it to you cos thought you were looking for a veggie meal. chuckle !

UJ - Haven’t tried that one, will definitely try it though, sounds really nice.

:-p:-p Floydy, you and I would get on great if we had to share a fish meal, The mere thought of eating any of those slimey things turns my stomach. Coming from a large family I was brought up on Haddock, Cod, Fish Fingers, Fish Cakes and tinned Sardines in Tomato sauce. When I got married I tried Prawn Cocktail for the first time but even then, if someone put a whole un-shelled one over the edge of the dish as decoration it turned my stomach as I could see the eyes and all those spidery legs.Even worse when I look at a Lobster, Ugh ! I didn’t care that much for Shrimps either because someone told me they were the sludge on the ocean bed, put me right off.
I only tried Hake for the first time about 15 years ago, do not fancy Salmon at all, Very partial now to Lemon Sole but I too have not tried Sea Bass, will do one day. :lol:

Brilliant! Shropshire Girl.:cool:
Yes shrimps and prawns with those little black eyes on your plate looking at you is like something from ‘Alien’ or such like.
Have you tried those Gastro fish in cartons from Youngs at all? Absolutely gorgeous with some of that plastic squeezy lemon juice on top. Can’t beat good old fish & chips from the chippy though, eh?:slight_smile: