I came across another cafe that does not display food prices

I asked both staff why, one of them walked away while the other refused to answer.
What are they afraid of?
I ordered a coffee, which did have a price, then stated I would have bought something to eat if prices were displayed

I wonder what sort of clientele they are trying to attract?
So they don’t show prices and don’t talk to any potential customer.
Risky sales technique. :grinning:

Whilst drinking my coffee I watched 6 people study the food display cabinet. None of them ordered food, coffee only.
Totally crazy business model.

1 Like

Very strange, we have a couple of small places here that have no menus BUT, they do have the prices on a large blackboard up on the wall.
I would not have ordered any food either without knowing the prices.

Becoming more prevalent here in Perth.
The staff do not like being asked the reason for no prices. They get rather annoyed, becoming defensive and a might angry.

Hmmmmm, think I’d be getting a local Newspaper involved. If nothing else it would put them in a bad light and maybe lose them business. :thinking:
I can be a pain like that IF, someone hacks me off enough. :worried:

1 Like

I would love to name and shame them. One has to be really careful about libel laws.
So I will not be doing that.

I thought this practice was illegal–business owners have to display prices.

I noticed it here (BC) once, asked about the prices–similar response. Tried to contact the owner, via Facebook–only way evidently. No response. Months later, the cafe was under new onwership. Prices displayed.

Here in England cafes/restaurants/pubs etc. must display a price list by law. I think it’s the same across GB.

According to the ACCC businesses must display prices.

That’s the body to report them to.

Not illegal to not display prices. Up to the customer to decide whether to patronise the business.

According to link in Bruce’s post, it is illegal.

displayed somehow - on printed menus, a blackboard overhead, in the cabinet, or something

I have sometimes seen variable prices - like cakes $7 - $10, places do that when they have a range of items and impractical to price each one - but if you ask how much is x cake they would tell you.

I certainly wouldn’t be buying anything if they did not.

2 Likes