I Bet You Don’t Watch Crufts?

I know some on here are vehemently against Crufts.
I know l should be but l do like to see the dogs, especially the Agility Competition. The dogs appear to be loving it.
There is so much competition in all fields now that dogs from all over the world are allowed to attend.

I wonder what your views are of Crufts?
Do you watch, or boycott the showing of Crufts on television, each year?

1 Like

It’s kind of my guilty secret, I know I shouldn’t but…

2 Likes

Crufts is there with the olympics, football & top gear. I would rather watch the test card.

2 Likes

I used to love watching Crufts as a child, because I was/am daft about dogs. But now I know how harsh it is, and the breeding involved, I’m not a fan. I always like to know the winner though.

1 Like

Pixie, I suppose you know, it’s the Final, tonight?

1 Like

I didn’t actually know that, Arty…I just catch up on who won on the news. I may have a peek in then, and see if I can guess who might win :smiley:

Crufts is some sort of dog show, that’s all I know, and I have never watched it. So that’s my valuable contribution to your thread, Arti. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Crufts? :woman_shrugging:
What are crufts?

It’s a dog show Bratti.

1 Like

I thinks the dogs and their owners are amazing, obedient, and especially the agility. It’s just not my cuppa tea. .

1 Like

Thank you. Yes I like agility dog shows. It offers an opportunity for the dog and owner a chance to work together and create a good, trusting bond. Most agility shows I’ve seen on tv or personally been to, the dogs look like they are having so much fun which makes me feel good.

No, I never watch it. I can’t abide the crazy strictness of it all. All the grooming, over and over again, making the dogs stand ‘just so’, with the feet planted exactly the right distance apart, the right distance from the hips and shoulders. I hate to see them pulling the dog into position holding its tail, making it hold its head at just the right position. It really is all such pretentious nonsense. I want to gather those poor dogs up and give them an ordinary, fun life, let them lie on the sofa, roll in mud, eat treats, and never have to pose perfectly again, ever.

2 Likes

Which is why I don’t like that type of dog show.

1 Like

I watch bits of it, but not the whole lot avidly, not really my thing anymore.

That Flat Coat who won this year, is the first time I have seen a dog look really happy in the ring, his old tail never stopped wagging.
Not so with that poor Toy Poodle who’s ridiculous exagerrated hair style would never allow him to be able to lead an ordinary life out of the ring.

Years ago, one of the dog training clubs I used to belong to, used to run a coach down to Crufts each year - that was when it was still held in London. We used to know some of the dogs/handlers in the obedience ring, so it was quite fun to go and cheer them on, but never been the slightest bit interested in the breed rings.

I agree with Sheba about all the poncing the poor dogs up, combing and re-combing, walking a certain way, no barking, and making them stand without any objection to a perfect stranger groping about, feeling whether the boys ‘privates’ are both present or not! Then after all that, being shut back up in a cage or tied up on a bench for another few hours. Then stuck in another cage in the car, driven home, just to go through the same the next day. No wonder two of them pee’d and poo’d in the ring today, poor thing must have been desperate to go out.

I have always felt it is more about prestige for the owners, than it is about the dogs, plus a few good wins/champions on a pedigree commands a better price for their stud fees.

Another thing I don’t agree with is, the so-called ‘Working Dogs’ section.
To me, working dogs should be judged on their ability to work, not how pretty they look!
My betting is not one of those ‘workers’ have ever done a days work in their life.
It’s a bit like hiring a perfect looking Cook, who wouldn’t know how to boil an egg!

The Flyball dogs, and the Agility dogs, are so different. These dogs usually love every minute of what they are doing and have brilliant rapport with their owners. They aren’t MADE to do it, they are genuinly having fun, and loving their day out. Very different do the breed rings IMO.

Ah well, that’s it for another year . . . :service_dog:

2 Likes

I used to wander round the dog section at the Royal Easter Show when it was at the showground just because I liked dogs.

At the moment some sheep dog trials are on near Canberra, they are very interesting though I haven’t been to trials for years.

1 Like

Not really that big a dog fan and anyway, I’d much prefer a good old mongrel to those posh pooches :poodle::poodle::poodle:

I am not in favour of “dog shows” - one of my favourite comedy movies is:

:laughing:

Correct I don’t, but only because I find it incredibly boring.:smiley::smiley:

I was pleased to see that the Flatcoated Retriever won and the Toy Poodle was the runner up.

These, with Labradors, are my favourite dogs and l have owned 3 Flatcoated Retrievers and 4 Poodles.

1 Like

I used to like going to watch sheep dog trials when we were on holiday in Wales. Never got into crufts but can imagine how lovely it is to have such a close bond with ones pet that one wants to show it to the world. Cats dont really want to comply like that.

1 Like