I Believe In Fairness

Just a minor rant about how society treats it’s citizens
I remember when I was at a group interview for a Multi Million dollar company.
They were looking to employ 8 people. There were 12 applicants including myself.
One guy came along with a folder full of his previous applications and I am not lying when I say it had to be at least 6 inches thick.
My first thought was that I felt sorry for him. All those rejections.
We went through the interview process all seated around a large table.
Each of us was to introduce ourselves and talk a little of our lives experiences, etc.
The fellow with the folder spoke well, seemed well adjusted and had plenty to offer.
Interview over, a week later I was notified that I had been successful in gaining employment.
The guy with the large folder had not been offered a position.
A month or two down the track, once I got to know the boss well enough, I asked why the “Folder Guy” was not successful.
His reply saddened me, “If he has been rejected by so many potential employers there must be something wrong with him”
I never said what was on my mind.
To me, no one gave him a chance. How could anyone make the assumption that there must be something wrong with him if he had never been employed?
I gained a real insight into not only how society treats it’s fellow citizens but also how Companies make assumptions based on first appearances.
The guy must be so disheartened, rejection after rejection. I only hope that he stopped taking that file with him to interviews and that someone gave him a chance.
That is all one asks for, a chance to join society, to be a part of what everyone else is a part of. Not to be rejected on assumptions.
Yes, some of you may have the thought in your head that, if he had gotten the job, then I might not have. True. Which in itself would not have been such a big issue for me because I had many skills to gain employment.

2 Likes

He can’t be that clever though.Telling everyone how often he had been rejected.Perhaps the employers were right?

1 Like

Yes, his actions did have an air of not being aware of bringing his rejections along to interviews would have a negative impact.
No one took him aside to give him some advice.
Then, no one ever got the chance to do so. He attends interviews then goes on his way.
Who would have the chance to give him such advice?

I would have set on all of the shortlist of applicants on a three month trial. It’s pretty easy to decide who are the workers and who are the shirkers when you work with someone for a while…

1 Like

One can very quickly see those worker who will be an asset and those that will be a liability.
We have people we trial who say they know the job but after an hour it is easy to see they have no idea.
We have those that show enthusiasm to start but after a week become slackers, constantly looking at their phones instead of mucking in and getting the job done.
It has got to the stage where management have said that this is a new generation addicted to their phones and if they were to ban them then they would leave. So it is tolerated, new, younger employees constantly scrolling on the phone.

2 Likes

I Believe In Fairness

you’ve got to make your own fairness in this life.

1 Like

It’s awful to be unwanted
Everyone needs to be needed

1 Like

Imagine how this guy must have felt, being rejected constantly.
One would give up after a while and lose hope, in life, in society, in living.

1 Like

He should have just “Self Employed” and left all the “Wankers” to it :icon_wink:

3 Likes

Why would anyone take a massive folder of failures to a job interview :roll_eyes: unless he was aiming for an entry into Guinness book of records for rejections…

1 Like

So they can still claim the benefits???

You can’t really know whether he has been given advice or not - some people are not adaptable and they think they know best or just don’t take advice on board.

In my experience, here in U.K., if you have been shortlisted to the interview stage, then you are usually contacted after the interview to let you know whether you have got the job or not. All the companies I have been involved with would give some feedback to the unsuccessful interviewees as to why they weren’t selected for the job.
Whether the applicant takes that feedback on board and reflects whether to change the way they approach future interviews is up to them.

I have a friend who spent long periods of time unemployed and job-seeking. I lost count of how many jobs she applied for. In her case, she rarely got to the interview stage and I could see why.
Her CV was written in a way that would put prospective employers off.
I used to be involved in recruitment and selecting candidates for interview in my own workplace, so I tried to give my friend tips and examples of what employers would be looking for in a CV and how she could tweak her own CV to give her more of a chance of getting to the interview stage but she took no notice and kept sending the same CV off for every job she applied for.
Some people just don’t see that if you keep doing things the same way, you are likely to keep getting the same result.

1 Like

Maybe he was going for the sympathy vote…I’m sad it didn’t work for him.

I hate these group interviews where people have to compete with others for Jobs not everyone does well in those situations…I don’t think I would anyway.

Thank goodness those working days are behind me…it seems like a dog eat dog environment these days.

2 Likes

Attending my first interview to be an apprentice engineer back in 1965, the boss said can you start work on Monday? I said I could and that was that…The rest is history…
:sunglasses:

Unfortunately for that applicant, the wrong attitude would have shown from the minute he walked into the interview room. I used to impress complete and utter positivity into all of my staff either up for promotion or on rare occasions applying externally for a position elsewhere. It is always imperative at any interview to exhibit self confidence and never to look surprised if confronted with a question that was difficult to answer. It is better to state that something is just outside one’s present scope but show a willingness to learn and adapt, rather than to try and bluff your way through. I used to sit on such boards and it was easy to see through any bovine excrement, but if someone showed a keenness and declared a willingness to learn, then that ticked a box for me.

2 Likes

Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst . Source: theidioms.com

One interview I attended, a very posh office, did okay but was aware the interviewer was not comfortable. Swivel chair was slowly going down, tried unsuccessfully not to laugh and failed.

3 Likes

Never fill in awkward silences at an interview :smiley:

1 Like

:astonished: really !

There are some professional interview failures who are obligated to attend a prescribed number of interviews to maintain benefits, who have no intention of getting a job.

2 Likes

The chair of an interview board should ensure that silences do not occur if it’s conducted correctly.