I Believe Global Population Is Reaching An Unsustainable Level

Consider these figures.
1970 Population 3.68 Billion
1980 Population 4.44 Billion
2000 Population 6.12 Billion
2020 Population 7.8 Billion
30 years from now
2050 Population 9.60 billion est.
Surely serious birth control should be implemented at some stage soon? Of course people will say it is a violation of my Human Rights to stop me having children.
Well how are Human Rights for every person going to be maintained when the population reaches 10 Billion?
We are not feeding the 8 Billion people now.
The inevitable outcome of unfettered Population growth?
The extinction of the Human Race.

Lets hope a few of um become regular posters on here :grin:

3 Likes

I don’t even think today’s population is sustainable. The human race is burning through the planet’s resources at breakneck speed. Consumerism has an insatiable appetite and the planet will soon be bled dry.

2 Likes

Yes, we have all been “Little Bleeders”

2 Likes

If the situation in Israel and Gaza escalates, over population could well get sorted by a third world war :cry:

5 Likes

Perhaps if we just produced food for people to eat not just for some to make money out of it?

2 Likes

Farming is labour intensive and people work for 18 hours a day. Nobody will produce food for nothing, what’s the point of all the work of your not making a living.

1 Like

We will have to eat less it will solve the obesity and diabetes crisis

2 Likes

I meant that it would be better if we lived in a society where we produced stuff to eat or use not to sell.

1 Like

Britain cannot sustain itself in food ,
It coulnt do in the war when there were less people .

Nothing to worry about, in about 30 years time the human population of the planet will start to decline as the birth rate gets so low it will not replace the existing numbers.

In some European countries the birth rate is as low as 1.28 children per female (2.1 is required to maintain the population). In 100 years such a birth rate will mean that the population would be one fifth of its current level. - I thought this was impossible so did a back of the envelope calculation assuming 30 years as a generation and it is pretty right.

3 Likes

Is it technically impossible to feed eight billion people or is it basically accepted as inevitable that not all of them can be fed?
Is it the sheer number of people that is unsustainable or is it the way in which part of the people live?

2 Likes

Ah right. So we grow our own food rather than buying it from someone else?
It sounds good in principle but it would get pretty boring if all you could grow was turnips.
I think I’d grow potatoes and make vodka :sunglasses: although I don’t think it would be very nutritious.

1 Like

I was thinking global :grinning:

1 Like

I try not to! :laughing:

1 Like

Here’s some interesting stats (if you like data more than just opinions).

Top growth in population over the last 10 years appear to be African sub-Saharan countries. Here the growth is 30-50% more in the last 10 years. The next group of countries are middle east / western Asia countries where growth has been 25-30% in 10 years.
By comparison, on average, Europe and USA has been around 5% over 10 years.
There has also been quite a few countries showing a marked decline in population.
So my question to the OP is:
If the blame for the significant rise in global population lies with the countries with exceptionally high population growth then what do we do? Stop aid to such countries? Mandate contraceptive measures? Start wars (actually, that has already been tried)?
Or do we tackle the question of how to feed and house all these new people rather than tackle the creation of all these people?

1 Like

Nature has its own means of controlling population .
Land that can not sustain many people is uninhabited or less people are born or survive .
When we upset the balance of nature we get too many people in the wrong parts of the world .
There is a reason why sub Saharan Africa can’t support its population .

2 Likes

I do love to start my day with some good doom and gloom, it sets me up for confrontation with those in authority…like the bloody Royal Mail!

2 Likes

I knew al that digging and hard work at the allotment wouldn’t be in vain. :slight_smile:

1 Like

There you go…we are all doomed!

1 Like