I Am Interested In Islands

At the Southern tip of the Australian Continent lies a remote island.
An immense wilderness divided by Mountains.
It’s a world of ancient forests, of pristine rivers, and a coastline that’s both wild and beautiful.
It’s animal inhabitants are as extraordinary as they are bizarre.
This is a land of Black Devils, and White Wallabies.
Where lights dance in the Southern Sky and trees tower to 100 meters.
This is Tasmania.
A weird and wonderful island at the bottom of the world.

This is the opening stanza, and let’s face it, describing Tasmania is pure poetry, of Sir David Attenborough’s documentary, Tasmania.
Search it out and have a gander at my part of the world where I grew up.

4 Likes

not what you really want as a Pet…

tasmanian-devil (2)

tasmanian-devil (3)

1 Like

They are really only scavengers. They will not attack humans.
How could one not want one as a pet? :grinning:

1 Like

The bite really is well known…so no ta as a pet…likely could not be house trained which as a fuss pot I could never put up with.
I Like Pets an awful lot, but if you cannot cuddle and stroke them then the term Pets is void in my view…

1 Like

I went to Tassie about a decade ago, I have been meaning to go again.

4 Likes

Nice post, Bretick!

I once thought Tasmania started out as part of the Australian continent. As it turns out (and probably most of you know) 1,400 M years ago it was connected to Arizona,U.S. A fault segmented a fragment of it away and remained (more or less) part of the Antarctic continent as the plates continued to shift.

Knowing well the climate and biology of the southwestern U.S., Tasmania (has so far) made a wise decision to jump ship :icon_lol:.

Tasmania, Galapagos, Madagascar…all are incredible in their protected diversity.

2 Likes

I am interest islands too. North Uist for example.

1 Like

I belong to one, Mull. Moved over to the mainland during my childhood. Living on the North Coast of Scotland we are a short ferry ride away from The Orkney Isles, we are over there often and further out are the Shetland Islands but we only visit there for the “Up Helly aa” festival at the end of January.
Just a few minutes boat ride away is a now deserted island called Stroma, had a wander round it a few times with various family members when they come up for a visit.

3 Likes

Nice reminder Blue.[Taking a wild guess its a Copper Nob]
I was in those days :wink:
<< Did the Hobart to Launceston road in the 60’s .
Having checked, nowhere like the development since.
Something that sits, ever since.
Stopped halfway at a Lean To Roadhouse for Breakfast. The first and only time we LAMB Steak at 10am. :saluting_face:
Enjoyed Launceston, clearly very popular now with floaters from the mainland. Thanks 4 the OT. ^5^5

2 Likes

Andorra, certainly not and Island as it is landlocked between France and Spain and a place I yearn to visit again. Mainly good memories but some not so good.

more to add at some stage…

2 Likes