I am having gel nails

I said I would never have my nails done.
After listening to my beautician about this subject, she advised me to try “ gel nails” I was concerned about the amount of cleaning and cooking I do, she said they will be fine.

Anyone here got gel nails?

1 Like

I toyed with the idea but decided against it because the colours would clash with my clothes.
:grin:

Seriously though & Mrs Zaphod uses gels herself; she’s got the fancy machinery for setting the gel (if I’ve got that right ?) and her nails get a lot of stick in her job,so I’m sure you will indeed be fine.
Mrs Zaphod and her beautician/hairdresser pal often have “girly” nights where they share colours of gel and do each others nails together with doing other unmentionable girly things.
I have heard “wax” mentioned, and I’m pretty sure I’ve heard “plucking” mentioned too and more besides.
:107:

2 Likes

:joy::sweat_smile:…I’m looking forward to watching the process…

They do look lovely when done then over 3 weeks they start to show at the top of nail. You must return to the technician to have them taken off and that’s a cost of about £10 unless you have them re done

Just be aware constantly wearing gel nails does ruin your own nails, after time , they can become thin . So it’s worth having a break of a few weeks between . What colour you having ?

2 Likes

I know all about the ruining of ones nails, I’ve seen what false nails can do if permanently worn, your own nails can turn brown, I’m just pampering myself, I have never had my nails done, not sure what colour yet, maybe bright red.:joy:

Taken off?..I’ve just read this again Susan,.i thought it was just a gel that dries, then you can take it off with nail polish remover, shows how much I know?

When you think about it, it’s Unnatural to have false nails placed on top of your own, therefore your own nails can’t breath.
It will just be a one off, see how they go.
Have you had gel nails ,Susan?

1 Like

Not a chance. I’ve got my own nails which grow just fine.

One year as maid of honour, I got them done with the bridal party. Never again. They are horrid things that ruin your real nails. Besides, I’m not into fake anything. I prefer real.

1 Like

Yes and I liked them they look lovely but I prefer to paint my nails the old fashioned way ( I used to do manicures and pedicures but not Gel)

Gel can not be removed with nail varnish remover alone. The manicurist will have to remove it should you decide not to keep returning . Dont forget to take a pic and show us

1 Like

My BH doesn’t go in for cosmetics or any of that sort of thing.She still thinks she’s a hippie.

1 Like

She’s supposed to be doing my nails this Friday ,Susan, my nails aren’t very feminine they are very wide, I will post a pic though, I hope she can make them look better, they aren’t very long either.

1 Like

They will look lovely

1 Like

I hope so, I want to feel feminine, did you say to have a breather of them after a while?

I know false nails can damage nails as it’s not natural is it?

I’m still using that tea tree oil on my toenails, what a long process that has been, plus I invested in a decent pair of proper toe nail clippers.:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I have had both finger nails and toe nails done with gel nail polish in the past.
I love it for its durability when I’m on holiday but it is not easy to remove and requires another trip to the beauty salon to get it removed for about £5 after a few weeks - or you can buy a bottle of stuff to remove it (costs around £5) but it involves dabbing the stuff on with cotton wool, then wrapping each nail in a bit of kitchen foil to soften the gel for 10 minutes or so, until it’s soft enough to scrape off.

I found it was ok to to use gel once or twice but then my nails needed a long break in between because it does strip the natural oils and damage nails.
I never have it on my finger nails now, preferring a natural look, but I still have a bright Summery coloured gel on my toe nails in the warm summer months when I am wearing flip flops or sandals.

1 Like

Yes dont have permanent gel polish it will leave your natural nails very soft after a while . Maybe have them done twice them a few weeks break

1 Like

Very pleased with the outcome,:grin:

3 Likes

Your nails look beautiful :heart_eyes_cat:
I just love the colour!

1 Like

Thanks Minx…:smiley:

1 Like

Lovely colour , yes they look nice .

1 Like

Susan I love them, she told me they shouldn’t damage my own nails, she does hers all the time, so she said wait and see what they look like next time they are done, plus they aren’t “ false nails”, I was amazed at the amount of coats she used, plus putting my hand in that heat machine, can’t remember what she called it? :grin:

Edit to add, they look so much nicer than my own natural nails the shape looks great as well.

Even better than gel nails are Nexgen nails. I have these done when I go on holiday. They are powder based and you have several coats and no putting under Light machines. They last 3-4 weeks and look beautiful. They do not chip or break. I do think that ANY nail treatments cause your own nails to get thinner so I only get mine done for special occasions.