I Am Concerned when our animals are declared "Threatened"

A success story for Australia’s endangered animals
The Mallee Emu Wren was extinct in South Australia after a series of devastating bushfires wiped out their habitat.
The tiny Wren, weighing no more than a 10 cent piece, was upbred from a tiny population from Victoria over a four year period.
40 Wren were released into a conservation Park in2019 then and 40 more were released later that year.
Their numbers have risen since their reintroduction

1 Like

Presumably it was up red from one’s in captivity ?

1 Like

Life begins at Forty :grin:

1 Like

Yes, as happens the world over.
Captive breeding helps to increase the size of a threatened species population.

Sometimes though, our interference in nature produces unexpected results Bretrick…
:open_mouth:
How is your rabbit population doing?
And aren’t there a few ferrell cats also?

1 Like

Don’t forget the cane toads, or the camels brought in to transport the wares needed to build the railway between Adelaide and Darwin.
When the work was completed the Camels were released into the wild.
Australia now has the largest population of camels in the world at over 1 million.

1 Like

Wow! I didn’t know that Bretrick…
:astonished:

1 Like

The Camels are drinking much of the already limited water supply, damaging vegetation and crops, breaking down fences, destroying infrastructure, especially during drought and causing an estimated $10 million worth of damage each year.
Too many to control

1 Like

alegedly they are quite tasty, even mutton like…
i read years ago about the arabs importing them from Austrailia

1 Like

Some might think they are tasty but let me tell you, I will not be eating them. :grinning:

lol…not everyone can afford to be choosy…
i too have never knowingly eaten camel meat either
but the muslims in the town i lived in in Tamil Nadu used to produce a camel for some religious ceremony, after which the camel was slaughtered and shared out for cooking, it seems it was very tasty, it may depend on the cook perhaps…

1 Like

Point taken. With the variety of food available here in Australia I have no need to eat exotic critters. :grinning:

They aren’t “Our Animals”, they are autonomous creatures, humans are so presumptuous. :smiley:

1 Like

its in the nature of the animal Spitfire, not one of our more endearing features, it is aledged we are not natural carnivores… natural carnivores all have a short gut… the tigers is just the length of its body alegedly where as ours is about four times the length of ours, and our canine teeth are quite insignificant by comparison wit the other carnivores… just saying…lol

1 Like

Alleged by whom Crabby?

1 Like

Alleged by the guy standing next to me in the pub…
those were the day OGF, stood in the pub whinging about you local team, Mines is Doncaster Rovers nil… it used to be Hamilton Academicals nil… and in my heart i support Scotland nil… and when i played in local football til i was forty my teams were all called whatever…nil… but its the taking part that matters…innit… Charlie Williams used to play for Rovers and wasnt a great player, but the fastest i have ever seen, it was aleged he could do 100 yards with a ball at his feet in 10.5 seconds and if professional athletes had been allowed in the olympics ?

2 Likes

Ha Ha Crabby, good answer…
I don’t follow football but if I did it would be Donny Rovers…I live just up the road…
My daughter lives in Balby, I mention that because you mentioned Balby in another post.
Just going back to the original topic…
Although I would never hurt an animal (unless it was either me or him) or stand by and watch one been hurt, I tend not to get concerned about the things I can’t change. Throwing money at the situation doesn’t really help because you’re never sure it’s going to go where it’s supposed to, but it helps people to live with themselves and to think that they tried.

1 Like

thats it pal, i no longer shave every night [perhaps four times a week]
but as long as i can look that guy in the eye then i feel ok
sure ive done crap stuff in my time, but only by reacting when perhaps i shouldnt have
like the rest of you i am my own master…lol…lol…
ok i will go and lay down now…lol

1 Like