Hypocrisy of a person

Please watch this prime example of hypocrisy on the part of an authoress.
She was proud to receive a Damehood (for some obscure reason) and now wants to emigrate to Ireland so that she can remain in the EU, offering much criticism of this country which has honoured her!

Wow - that was breath taking, JBR, thank you! Hilary Mantel should be publicly stripped of her DBE. What makes her think Ireland wants her anyway?

1 Like

@JBR , l wish all the remainers would follow her example JB !
It would solve the housing crisis as well !?
Donkeyman!

1 Like

If they really meant, and stood by their principles, they would.
Which suggests that they’re just a load of whingeing losers!

Loads of people have taken Irish passports . It makes travelling far easier .
Health care abroad is free .
I have tried to persuade Mr M to get an Italian passport ( his mother was Italian ) but we have no idea where her birth certificate is and it’s all too difficult .
If I could get a European passport I would .

@Muddy , For the birth certificate try the the mil 's local priest or church ??
I should check on the free health care abroad thing, as we have left the EU
now l am told !!
Donkeyman! :thinking::thinking:

An unfortunate side effect for our family was that one of the children wanted to remain part of the EU, so did pick up sticks and go. I’m used to it now but still sad about it.

@mart , look on the bright side Mart, you will get free foreign holidays
from now on !l​:grin::grin:
Donkeyman! :+1::+1:

We have but if you have a European passport you are ok .
God knows where in Italy she was born somewhere in Naples and it’s a huge city .

@Muddy , Surely Mr Muddy knows where he was was born Muddy ?
from that you could trace relatives etc??
My niece has just returned from the Greek island of Andros where her mother
was born,she spent a couple of years taking holidays there and now she is
the proud owner of her mother’s house overlooking a small harbour, which
she has almost finished refurbishing? The priest there gave her great help
in establishing ownership and making contact with long lost relatves ?
Donkeyman! :+1::hugs::+1:

He was born in the U.K. but he can claim Italian nationally form his mother . We don’t have her birth certificate.
Naples is not a little Greek island and it’s nearly a hundred years since she was born .

Muddy, he could start by asking at the Italian embassy.

Percy you can’t ask at the Italian embassy
They have a consulate but only have a recorded menu ( we don’t speak Italian ) and will only make an appointment between certain hours .
To drag up to London for them to tell us they can’t help us ( and belive me the duty of most consulates including ours is to be as unhelpful as possible.)

That sounds about typical for Italian bureaucrats. :grin:

You can’t really blame them, from afar, one of the major benefits of belonging to the EU must have been freedom of travel, work and abode, Europe is, after all, a relatively small place. I can imagine how this was a valuable asset to many people and if it is why not do whatever you need to do to preserve it?

Certainly in my mind, as a dual national, my British passport has lost whatever value it once had.

As for the award? what a load of tosh, it is just trivia.