Hybrid cars

Would i buy one or one only battery powered? [FONT=“Arial Black”]no way[/FONT]

Sue looked up for me the price of a new battery in a top of range expensive car . The quote for a replacement battery was

Wait for it

Are you sitting down

You won’t want one

how much do you think without looking?

she saw it would cost £6,000 for a replacement battery for this type of car

so you still want one???

2 Likes

Yes they are expensive to replace, but most manufacturers warrant their batteries for eight to ten years, the only problem is that when they reach this age, they will be worthless as no one will fork out six grand on a car that’s worth maybe half that…

Absolutely no way that I would buy an electric car, either hybrid or otherwise. Always a diesel for me…:wink:

I have a mild hybrid car…

A friend of mine has an electric car, and she loves it.

She is a business lady and uses her car a lot for travelling about, and reckons she saves a fortune on diesel now.
She told me last week it only costs her about £6 per week now for a full week’s ‘fuel.’

They are so pleased, her husband wants to change his car to electric now too.

I wouldn’t have an electric car or Hybrid unless I could afford something like a BMW i model or Teslar.

Dirty Diesel for me.

I once owned an LPG/petrol car and that was quite good as LPG was/is half the price of petrol so I was getting double the distance which made the average 24mpg quite reasonable.

Tesla are supposed to be the least reliable car on the road according to a recent survey so that might not be a good decision.

It is strange how LNG cars seem to have had their day, the pumps are disappearing from service stations and it seems to be only taxis that still use it as a fuel.

Electric cars are not taking off here, I think only about 1000 are sold each year compared to over a million conventional cars. They are OK as a commuter car in the city but the lack of top up sites in the bush means they cannot become mainstream

In my opinion this is because LNG as a vehicle fuel has never been advertised like petrol has. Call me a cynic but I suspect the oil companies have been lobbying the Governments against this as a viable, cheap fuel for the average motorist. My BiL had his Lexus converted to burn LNG and has saved a fortune since but we don’t do the mileage to recover the cost of conversion* (~£1200-1500 depending on car and engine). I also suspect that if they really wanted to, vehicle manufacturers would supply LNG burners as an option at least. I was told by a car mechanic that burning LNG rather than petrol knackers an engine in about 100k miles or so, so that has to be factored in too.

• It takes about 20k - 25k miles using LNG to recover the cost of conversion before you start saving money on fuel.

Quoted from a well known motoring mag.

LPG is a cleaner burning fuel than either diesel or petrol, so engine life is actually extended and LPG does not damage engines. If anything, LPG may prolong engine life. Using a fuel that burns cleaner should allow the engine components to last longer.

Me too Foxy. The torque is incredible on a diesel. I suppose at some stage I will be forced into buying a hairdryer on wheels but until then…:wink:

I used to have a diesel Skoda. An excellent car. It lived from 2003 to 2018. Then I got £4000 for it under the government’s ‘green’ offer.
I did once think about trying to use chip oil in it, but never got round to it. I know a chap who did, though.

I couldn’t justify a diesel now, though, as I/we don’t drive that much any more.

I wouldn’t touch an electric or a hybrid with a bargepole, for the reasons discussed on here.

A colleague had a Lexus. A V8 and a hybrid. It was very nice.

A Lexus? Oh, but not as nice as my Skoda!

I’d consider an electric car, the range is starting to extend all the time which, let’s face it , is most people’s concern but they’re getting there,

I reckon that diesels are going to be around for quite some time yet Longdogs, and I won’t be…:frowning: 25 years…Possibly, but will I still be driving at 95…? I might still be running though…:smiley:

Thing is Primus, I love driving, and the further the better. I don’t think electric have progressed far enough yet though, and I didn’t like the sound of having to replace a £6000 battery every five or six years. If my present car was electric, I’d be on to my second batter by now…:shock:

If I was just nipping round town or going to work it might have been a possibility.

I’ve got a friend who speaks very highly of Skoda vehicles JB, he wouldn’t consider any other make.

Even when Skoda were the butt of all jokes they were very impressive in motorsport.

During the 70s and 80s they won the under 1300cc group in the famous British RAC Rally a record 17 times on the trott

But you prefer running to driving!

I never knew that Skoda were in to racing cars!