Humans could become a truly interplanetary species within 200 years, physicists claim

Sounds a little bit sci-fi. Physicists says that human could become interplanetary travelers in a couple centuries.

They say it depends on moving away from fossil fuels.

Do you think that humans will be traveling the galaxy? When?

1 Like

Interplanetary within the solar system - probably, starting with Mars in the near future and maybe reaching Jupiter’s moons in 200 years. There will, inevitably, be many human casualties along the way and many “political” difficulties.

Interstellar within our galaxy - maybe in a million years:

1 Like

I’m not sure they will. I used to have faith we’d keep getting better and advancing

Bu we seem to be going backwards, perhaps we’re programmed for self-destruction

2 Likes

I thought we started all that in the 50’s.Jet Morgan managed to visit the Moon and Mars.It’s on record at the BBC

.Journey into space - YouTube

No chance!
As food, fuel and work becomes scarce and economies collapse, poverty will set the have not’s against the have’s until some organised group will take precedence, and with all industry, technology and communications destroyed the human race will start from scratch. Probably just like before…
Out of chaos comes order… Friedrich Nietzsche .

I bet Jeff Bezos (with his commercial space station) and Elon Musk ( with his spaceships) expect to be interplanetary in their own lifetime …judging by the exorbitant amount of money they spend on it.

Will mankind ever achieve it?
According to Nostradamus … if memory serves me right.
One of his quatrains says something along the lines of year 3797, earth will be dead but the seed of Mankind will already have gone out into space.

Meself, I’d say it’s not likely. We’re more likely to implode and destroy ourselves for one reason or another.

The earth will go on, long after humans have had their day. Humans are only successful because of technology. Watch how quickly nature takes back what once was ours.

True … but a bit diseased.
Time is a great healer but our sheer amount of rubbish and pollution will take time to heal … not to mention how many millennia it would take for any kind of fossil fuels to form again … if they ever could.

Our DNA can go anywhere, on a trillion mile journey, just depends if there is a station master capable of decoding it, wherever that is. :grinning:

Some extraterrestrial “Fat Controller”. :icon_wink:

you offering yaself up for the job on ya interplantery sur on brm brm brm!!! take me to the moon and let me play among the stars?

gummy, you know I’m an exponent of the old idiom “Never volunteer for Anything”. :grinning:

Blue skies, sandy beaches & palm trees … then yes, we’d have a reason to go there.

We’ll never get off this bit of magnetic rock whirring through space, the moon is probably as far as we will get, and even that is questionable…
Sending DNA into space would be like sending Putin America’s designs and locations for all of her weapons…

It’s only us humans that need fossil fuels Morty, for all of our technology. Nature doesn’t drive, use computers and the internet, or require electricity.

I can think of a few people who should have been shot into space nine months before they were born.

I suppose what will happen is Nature will develop a new eco system, that excludes us!

It will probably exclude a lot of other life forms too as the world we know goes the way of the dinosaurs

So those hoping to get aboard an interplanetary Noah’s ark and survive would be a very tiny elite minority. The wealthiest of the wealthy

So why would those whose descendants will never be on those voyages pay out now to develop the technology for the elite?

Because they have no choice in the “Matter”.

1 Like

That’s the way I see it Maree. As poverty and hunger bite into the masses, there will be major conflict. And there are many more of us than them.

Yes they do Spitty…