How Young is Too Young?

There was an interesting interview and discussion on the local ABC radio this morning.

The Berry IGA supermarket manager received an email from a customer complaining that she employed children and that this spoilt the supermarket’s and the town’s reputation.

The owner/manager came on the radio to say that she was happy to discuss the matter, She currently employed a couple of 12 year olds, they were paid award wages (16 years and under). Apparently there is no minimum age for employment.

The lady said that it was usually parents who asked if she would employ their kids and she was happy to because adults generally only wanted daytime work whereas these kids were only available after school and early evening. She said they were only employed in “safe” jobs ie they didn’t sell cigarettes etc.

Thinking back, two of my kids found themselves jobs when they were about 12 or 13 at Pizza Hut and Woollies supermarket.

Anyway what do you think? They are not working in a mine or up chimneys and they tend to work for only 3 hours a day and family businesses often use their children in the shop much younger than 12 but what age is too young?

No such thing as Too young, just a lack of chimneys thanks to Blaster Bates and Fred Dibnah.

2 Likes

There are strict conditions when employing school children. We did this and not only get written permission from the parents, also the school work experience teacher had to inspect the conditions the children work were asked to work in
On top of that the local council had to be notified . Finally the child had to be supervised by a staff member of the same sex. This also included the number of hours worked which was restricted according to the child’s age. Then was the question of insurance about number working at the premises also health and safety act had to be complied with including appropriate clothing work breaks and hygiene facilities .
On the end we stopped accepting school children’s work placements due to too many regulations. The annoying thing was the kids loved working with the animals in our boarding kennels and cattery. Now I understand even those who employ have to have C R V approval I think It is called to see if there are any convictions against them. No wonder that employers are reluctant to take on school children

It’s an interesting point, as far as I know, a Working with Children Check does not apply to employment.

The funny thing is I had to have a Working with Children Check done when I used to run computer classes for seniors. To this day I have no idea why

Minimum ages children can work

Part-time work

The youngest age a child can work part-time is 13, except children involved in areas like:

• television
  • theatre
  • modelling

Children working in these areas will need a performance licence.

That’s not an opinion merely a copy of the law. What age is too young? is the question.

For example many of the people on the radio commented how it improved a young person’s work ethic, time keeping etc.

This was certainly true of my kids that got jobs, the third kid only improved when he joined the navy and there were penalties.

How Young is Too Young? is the question.

For employment in the UK, 13 years of age is the youngest age a child can, legally, work part-time and that, IMO, is too young.

I used to help with a milk round when I was about ten before I went to school.My BH worked in a local convenience store and stables when 12. She earned free rides at the stables.
Neither of us are rich though despite such an early strong work ethic.

Go into any Chinese owned business and you will see the children helping out .
Why not indeed , if they hate it they will study harder to do something else .

I think you will find that is the topic.

Interesting that you seem to be the only one that thinks it is too young, do you have any reasons for that opinion?

One would imagine that checking whether you’d been involved in anything that could lead to online grooming (yourself, or training others into how to do it) would seem a sensible thing to do.

When I was about 13 I was offered a Saturday job in a shop where most of the customers were from different parts of the world. I worked with 2 or 3 British adults, and I really think it taught me how to treat people from foreign lands.
Most children have open minds and want to learn more & I can remember asking customers,
“Why do you need so many onions & what do you make with them?”
" Your clothes are colourful but do they keep you warm in the British winter?"
and other similar questions.
The people were always polite and answered my questions & I am sure I learned a lot about different cultures.
I loved that Saturday job & learned that people from different cultures were just as interested in what I ate. On special occasions some of the Indian ladies would bring me small portions of what they considered treats. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

local bylaws also apply to children working as I put in my previous post

Children do need protection if they’re to be put to work, employers will exploit them as cheap labour

1 Like

Anybody remember “bob a job” week and the Scouts? My mum used to get really cross with people from the posh houses up the road who used to make the kids to a lot of hard, dirty jobs for their “bob”

“Tell ‘em to stick it up their arse” was her advice I believe to my cousin! :rofl:

2 Likes

It seems amazing now that that children were put into such potentially dangerous situations .

1 Like

Yes, you’d be terrified to let them go round peoples houses like that now

I worked delivering papers from 11 and delivering milk from 15 there were just as many looney murderers about then they just weren’t as openly in the media or as easily tracked down. There are reams of documentary shows about cold cases from my childhood and i often wonder how I survived my youth lol

1 Like

I wonder the same I also did a paper round and was often afraid of walking out past bushy areas in the dark .As children we did a lot of walking in the dark even coming home from Brownies , we were only primary school children after all .
Really I don’t know how my parents allowed it .

They may have been busy, tying up their own issues.